Clean Effects Air Filter- replace with regular filter???

Old 03-01-14, 09:41 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clean Effects Air Filter- replace with regular filter???

I have a Trane Heat Pump System which includes a Clean Effects Air Cleaner. I wasn't sold on this air cleaner/filter from the beginning. I'm now convinced that a regular PLEATED air filter is better and takes a lot less maintenance. BUT, am I right?? If so, here's my next question. Clean Effects has THREE filters. When I remove them I have a choice of which SLOT or space in which to use a pleated filter. Should I simply use the 1 inch slot with a 1-inch thick filter or the three inch slot?? Will it make that much difference??

Old 03-02-14, 03:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I had a similar experience. Had an electronic filter installed. Well when the shine wore off, it just didn't seem to keep the air clean. All the while the industry is moving toward media filters. Mine will accept 4" filters, which give me about 6 months of good clean air before replacement. I do like them.

Old 03-04-14, 08:44 AM
N
OK now here's another question??

Ok so I located another slot ABOVE my electronic air cleaner that takes a 20x20x1 pleated filter. Once I put a filter in there and POWER OFF the electronic one I assume that I should remove all three sections of the electronic filter?? Otherwise, even though not powered air would continue to pass thru them and they would eventually clog and need cleaned??

Old 03-04-14, 08:57 AM
If this is what you want to do, then I would remove the electronic grid and the upper filters. I think I would go ahead and just leave the bottom one, the black mesh one in place. This one is very low restriction. I clean this one with a water hose, let it dry and place it back in. In my situation, the bottom one collects the most stuff, the electronic grid has fuzz build up on the pointed prongs and the two upper ones are also water hosed off and dried with a much smaller collection of stuff. I usually look at my "A" coil when I clean out the filter and it seems the clean effects is doing a good job.

Just curious, have you voiced your dis-satisfaction with Trane about this filter? Its got a 10 year warranty I believe!

Old 03-04-14, 10:02 AM
N
Thank you!!

Thanks for your info. And, NO, I haven't notified Trane but I am now that you mentioned it. Thanks again

Old 03-04-14, 10:33 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Electronic filters are superior in removing particulate than most filters. But you have to keep them clean. If they are not cleaned then there no better that a 50 cent filter.

Old 03-04-14, 01:32 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
As Airman stated the electronic filter is superior for removing small particles, it can even remove cigarette smoke, but it MUST be cleaned on a frequent basis. That basis is dependent upon how dirty the air is and what kind of prefilter is used. Generally speaking washing of the electronic cells every other week is not too often and going as long as month between cleanings ends up with the electronic cells being overloaded with dirt and doing nothing.

Electronic filters get a bad rap because most people do not want to clean them as often as needed. If you do not want to properly service an electronic filter system then you should not have one but instead use a deep (four or five inch) pleated box filter. You need the deep box filter to allow for a low pressure drop AND the dirt catching properties. Using one-inch filters is only slightly better than using chicken wire for a filter in my opinion.

Old 03-04-14, 02:51 PM
I think most (un-knowing) home owners will not clean them often. Why, the clean air effects has a status light on the front that notifies them when to clean. My monitoring lights will take a long time to get past the first light, when the second one is lit, I clean it. My Son In Law has the same system and monthly his will light up all 5 lights. Now, to ask the question, is my "dirt monitor" not sensitive or not working???. I know the first filter is lightly covered with "dust" when the second light comes on. Here in central florida, everything is flowering etc right now, I have allergy's but it does not seem to bother me much. I have always vacuumed the filters before but now I am hosing them off instead and seems to be an improvement??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: