Snow Busted Heat Pump

Old 03-09-14, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Snow Busted Heat Pump

Hi All,

I'm looking for some help finding replacement parts for a busted Trane heat pump.

A bit of background on the problem: Melting snow slid off the roof and landed on the heat pump unit with enough force to bust a good section of the top cover out. Directly under the cover is a cross member that the electric fan motor mounts to. This cross member was also slightly damaged/bent from the impact. Because of this and since the damage was not caught right away, the pump continued to operate in this damaged state for an unknown period of time. Because the fan motor was running unbalanced, one of the motor mounting studs sheared off and another is nearly sheared. The fan blades were also slightly damaged.

In order to repair the unit, which is quite simple, I need a new top cover, new cross member, new fan blades, and either a new motor or just replacement mounting studs if I can find them. The problem is, with some internet searching I can't find any of the parts that I need as Trane only sales to the licensed repair companies. I did have a service company give me quote on the repairs including parts and labor which came out to $1500. I can very easily repair the unit myself for a lot less if I can only find the parts. I'm hoping somebody here can help me with that.

Here are the component model numbers:

Heat Pump: Trane XL16i MOD. NO. : 4TWX6036B1000AA

Motor: GE ECM MOTOR MOD. NO. : 5SME39HL
60/50Hz 120/240V
1/3HP 2.8A
850/520RPM

Name:  DSCN1182.jpg
Views: 4835
Size:  25.5 KBName:  DSCN1183.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  26.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-14, 03:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 11 Posts
It seems unlikely that you will be able to get these parts from anywhere but Trane.

Old 03-09-14, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You'll probably have to go to a site like Air Conditioning/Heating Parts Source and give them your unit model number for them to look up.

Old 03-09-14, 06:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
If that fan motor is damaged & the quote includes it's replacement, have the contractor do the job, pay them, & run like a thief. If the motor is what it looks like, the motor alone is probably $500-$1000 alone.

Old 03-09-14, 09:22 PM
I believe the motor is around $630 they said. The technician said the motor needed replaced because the studs were broken. However, I went out and disassembled the unit, got the motor out, and the studs can be removed. Other then that, I believe the motor is still in decent shape. It would be nice if I could find some replacement bolts/studs and the Trane parts but I have been unsuccessful thus far.

Old 03-09-14, 09:36 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Get some all thread rod and several nuts of the correct size to replace the broken bolts. Hammer the cross beam back in shape and straighten/balance the fan blades best you can. Cover the unit with flashing metal and paint it to match. Total price for fix -- under $50 and your labor.
If you can't get the blades right, buy a new set from someone like Grainger. Still be economical to fix.

RR

Old 03-10-14, 07:34 PM
I like the way you think RR. At the least I will use the threaded rod on the motor and get the service company to install/order me a new top. I also have to figure on how I'm going to insure this doesn't happen again. Perhaps build a roof over the unit?

Old 03-10-14, 08:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Normal minimum overhead clearance is at least six feet. Not sure about Trane. If you have the installation manual, it should tell you.

Old 03-11-14, 03:26 PM
On those type of covers, unlike others that blow straight up and out the top, I noticed that the vented assembly is tilted outward at the bottom and the lovers tilted inwards, just seems to channel debris (leaves especially) down into the inside of the unit. Pulled a side cover off and was about 1/3 filled with leaves.

Old 03-11-14, 05:52 PM
I pass 2 HVAC firms on the way to work and have noticed "removed"?? units sitting in the back lot. If there is a trane dealer near you, might work out for you to salvage a top piece etc.