Moving - need advice

Old 03-11-14, 01:41 PM
Moving - need advice

I am moving to just north of Charlotte, NC to a foreclosed doublewide. The ac unit has been stolen so need to replace it.

Although ac/heat pumps seem to be the normal for mobiles they are almost useless in colder weather.

What do you recommend I replace the mission unit with? Have heard about a new type ac unit - what gives with them?

Tks for the help - jb

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-14, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 208
Welcome to the forums.

What you switch to or use depends on what you're going to use to heat. Things to look at are natural gas, propane, electric..... availability and rates.

You're not in what I would consider a "cold" climate like here in NJ so a heat pump with backup fossil fuel would seem to be a good choice.

I'm not sure what type of new A/C you are referring to. Maybe a ductless split unit ?

Old 03-11-14, 02:17 PM
Tks, PJ -

I presently live in central FL and when the temps get down - it has gone to 17 here, the heat side of the AC runs all day and night. It has heating coils in it but they run the ele bill out of sight.

It looks like the unit that was stolen was an outside with inside air handler and probably ele backup - will check this out.

Since I need to purchase a unit and it will be included in the loan I would like to get them most cost effective unit to use. I know there are the standard ac heat pump/ele backup but there is also ones with propane heat as well, are there not?

Have not checked prices but would seem propane would be better costwise than ele.

Skimmed an article months back about a new high energy efficient unit being imported but know little about it. - jb

Old 03-11-14, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 208
Have not checked prices but would seem propane would be better costwise than ele.
Hard to say. I know natural gas is more bang for the buck but it's not available in many areas.

In a lot of areas in the country.... electric rates are a bargain compared to fossil fuel.
You'll need to do your homework.

Old 03-12-14, 10:05 AM
When you get your first propane bill you'll wish you had a heat pump.

Old 03-13-14, 02:46 PM
Do you know what the NC electric rates are ? And you might want to verify that the necessary electric service is available to your dwelling

Considering the recent prices, propane does indeed seem like a bad idea.

If there are AUX heaters in the air handler, chances are it was a heat pump that was stolen.

I'd go with a new heat pump system installation - including line set and air handler - and from a reputable installer and with a decent warranty especially on labor.

Old 03-18-14, 01:45 PM
Just a suggestion...you might want to consider a package unit. It is a unit that is an "all in one" set-up. Many mobile homes use them. It would be located outside. You can have it installed and tied into the existing duct work, as long as it is sized properly. Whether you use gas or electric heat, I would recommend getting a few estimates from reputable installers. Since you are new to the area, you can check them out on the Better Business Bureau website Better Business Bureau: Start With Trust®. You may also search on line for comments on costs in your area for mobile home package units and user opinions as to their satisfaction with this type of system. If you are in a mobile home community, you may want to check out some of the neighbor's systems and ask for their opinions. Good luck.