geothermal heat pump

Old 06-14-14, 06:09 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
geothermal heat pump

my geothermal single phase heat pump is one year old and has a new contactor and 24v transformer. i have power in and 24 volts to the red therm wire; my fan comes on but but the contactor will not engage; even if i push the contactor bars in manually, nothing happens. it should be mentioned that about a month ago it worked fine but i replaced the electro magne on the reversing valve; . the unit died about 5 hours later and the electro magnet was almost impossible to pull off the rod.i no heat no cool no nuthin.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-14, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,203 Votes on 1,113 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A shorted reversing valve could have originally shorted the transformer out.

It sounds like you have an issue with the 24vac to the contactor as it won't close.
You went on to say when you push the contactor in manually.... still nothing happens.
You're going to need to check for 240vac at the disconnect and at the contactor for the compressor.

What is the make and model of your system.

Old 06-14-14, 08:19 PM
E
thks for the input pjmax . if i put 240 volts to the compressor, should it go on regardless of other issues?. its a miami heat pump( not florida/bosch) 5 ton. i dont know where the 240 disconnect is located thks, mike

the works seem very straight forward, but im stumped.

Old 06-14-14, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,203 Votes on 1,113 Posts
Just so we're on the same page. Your have a Miami Heat Pump system ?
I'm not familiar with the company. Is there a model number on that unit ?

The 240v supply to the unit should be a large electrical cable. That cable will originate in your house AC panel. Have you check for a tripped breaker there ?

Old 06-15-14, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Do you have any trouble code LED's lit up on the control board?
http://www.miamihp.com/pdf/HPXOwnersManual.pdf

Old 06-15-14, 05:03 PM
E
the green light flashes, thats about it; what my real concern is, is the compressor. i cant understand why the contactor wont close. it has 240v going in 240 going out when i depress the contacts manually , but there is no sound and only the grundfos pump activates. it seems to me that if 240 goes out from the contactor, something would happen, since voltage is making it to the compressor.. but nothing

Old 06-15-14, 06:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How many times does it flash?
This manual has a LED by each sensor, does yours?
If so, what LED is flashing?
Post your model number and more information on your LED status so that we don't have to guess.

Old 06-16-14, 10:35 AM
E
the power green led is flashing continuously with the power on to the heat pump. ; it is an hpx060.
also, no other lights are on or blinking.

Old 06-18-14, 01:02 PM
E
than k yall; just as conversation i have had 6 techs come to my house in the past year regarding a florida/bosche heat pump and a miami heat pump. the bosche shot craps 2 weeks out of warranty; bosche said too bad so sad, the miami heat pump is frankly a lemon....my luck..........had it for a year and has been nothing but trouble. ill give one more tech a chance then its on to buy a third heat pump in a 6 year span.

the systems are simple in equipment and complicated in the various ways to accomplish the same thing.....heat and cool. makes me wonder why some single phase residential heat pumps are so expensive; if you look inside the units, all are about the same and i dont see 5000 dollars worth of wiring anyplace. and install? hook up two coolant lines(without desuperheater), 3 to 5 thermostat wires, 2 power lines, a ground wire, andthats it. very frustrating.

Old 06-18-14, 01:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We need to verify 24 volts between Y and C when a cooling demand is present.

The GPM and water temperature across the heat pump is very important and should be measured when the unit is running again.