Latex paint overspray on indoor heat pump coil causing high indoor humidity?

Old 08-02-14, 08:42 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Latex paint overspray on indoor heat pump coil causing high indoor humidity?

My sister in law just moved into a condo in Louisville, Ky. It has been especially hot and humid there this summer so I did not think too much of it that it seemed especially humid inside the new place, even with the A/C on, as we were moving her in. After a month it is still humid indoors (> 55% RH).

The condo was painted before the move. The painter used a sprayer for the ceiling that created a dust that fell to the floor to be swept up (‘dry fog’). The fan coil is in this room behind a louver door. Apparently he did not turn off the heat pump fan while spraying. We have now found paint on the A/C coils. The condensate drain is working ok. The unit is cooling adequately and does not seem to run a ‘short cycle’; however the humidity is still high.

This Goodman heat pump is about a year old. The condo was built in 1986 and there is no outdoor air intake to the unit.

1. Is the high humidity being caused by the clogging of the indoor coil by the paint?

2. Can the latex paint overspray be removed from the coil? If so what is the best practice?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-14, 08:46 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

How big is the condo and how big is the AC? When the AC is too big for the space, reduced elimination of the humidity often results.

Old 08-02-14, 09:05 AM
S
The filter should have caught most of the dust. Take temperature reading coming out of the register and temp at the louver door. Let us know.

Old 08-02-14, 09:26 AM
B
Thanks for the prompt reply!

The SEER 13 Goodman split system heat pump is 2.5 tons.
The condo is 1,130 SF with cathedral ceilings throughout.
It has 11 aluminum clad wood casement windows, one aluminum sliding glass door and several plastic dome skylights.
It has 3 exposed sides and is on the top (2nd floor).

Old 08-02-14, 09:31 AM
B
The filter did catch a lot of the dust as I replaced it and unfortunately did not think a lot about it at the time.
I will try to get the temp info but I am not in town now and it will take a while to get someone over there do the measurements.

Old 08-02-14, 01:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
If you called in an HVAC pro to clean the unit could you get the painter to pay the bill? He should have know better than to spray with the HVAC running!

Old 08-02-14, 04:17 PM
B
That's my plan.
Do you think the latex paint can be removed ok?

Old 08-03-14, 03:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Denatured alcohol and products like 'goof off' and 'oops' will dissolve latex paint. It will require a little elbow grease too. While I have the same heat pump, I don't know a lot about working on it

Old 08-03-14, 05:21 AM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hey baked apple
Depending how much latex paint is on the coil it probably wouldn't effect it too much for example if it's just an over spray. If it is coated with paint then possibly. The coil would still get cold to remove humidity. Blocked airflow would definitely effect the operations. If it is just very humid there I would suggest adding an after market whole house dehumidifier to your system. The unit size isn't the problem. I hope that helps FYI 55% is the target comfort level for humidity readings

Old 08-03-14, 06:28 AM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are you sure it's paint on the coil? If the unit was running while the painter sprayed and latex is water based and the coil was or should have been soaking wet, then the paint would not have stuck to anything but rather ran off with the condensate.

Go to the big box store and pick up a can if coil cleaner, follow the directions and report back. That coil should clean up nicely, it's probably full of colored dust.