Weird second electric furnace: how to turn off the heat?

Old 08-13-14, 09:37 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weird second electric furnace: how to turn off the heat?

My new house has a crazy strong range hood fan, which supposedly required a second furnace according to code here in Calgary, AB, Canada. This is because the range hood expels so much air that we need a dedicated furnace to bring replacement air in.

The problem is that this furnace ALWAYS heats the air it is taking in, which is a complete waste of electricity and a major discomfort in the summer.

It is a Heil Model EF08B1500, and has a 25A breaker and a 60A breaker on it. I don't want to turn any of these off without knowing what they're for.

Any ideas on how I can turn off the heat while still letting the fan bring in fresh air?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-14, 09:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I'd turn off the 60 amp breaker then verify that the fan still runs and it isn't heated.

I would then look into the installation of an ambient control.
Perhaps you already have one and it is pegged?

Old 08-14-14, 04:42 PM
R
I haven't been able to try this with the stack cool yet, but when I turned off the 60A the intake on the outside of the house wasn't working anymore. When I turned off the 25A, the intake worked. I agree with you that turning off the 60A would make more sense since it would more like control the heating element. I'll try to figure out which one controls heat and if by some weird fluke it's the 25A then problem solved.

What is an ambient control, and if I have one, where would it be and how would I tell if it is pegged?

Old 08-14-14, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,050 Votes on 974 Posts
the range hood expels so much air that we need a dedicated furnace to bring replacement air in.
I've never heard of an exhaust fan that strong used in a house.
Do you have a massive cooking station..... 6-8 burner stove..... double oven ?

You're going to have some custom wiring there.
Does the furnace only come on when the exhaust fan is turned on ?

By an ambient control I think Houston means a low temperature control. A control that would monitor the outside temperature and activate the heating coils as needed. I'm not sure what he's referring to when he asks if it's pegged.

I couldn't find a wiring diagram for your unit. It may require some pictures from you.

Old 08-14-14, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
This sounds like you have is a make up air system. This is commonly used in commercial kitchens and will temper the air with supplemental heat (gas or electric) during the cold months.

Pegged = turned all the way up.

Old 08-14-14, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,050 Votes on 974 Posts
This is commonly used in commercial kitchens
Exactly.... I've never heard of using a make-up system in a home.

Old 08-14-14, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
Neither have I, however a friend of ours has a Wolf range hood that is something stupid like 900 CFM. They didn't have to install a MUA unit, but they had to provide some kind make up air into the house before the inspector would sign off.

Old 08-14-14, 10:49 PM
R
You guys have nailed it on the head. It's a humungous Wolf range and griddle, and the range hood, at its highest power, is loud enough to start domestic squabbles.

The furnace turns on when the range hood is turned on. This is great in the winter but not so much in the 90F of the summer :\

@PJmax I found an online installation guide that had lots of schematic type diagrams. I can post those here if you like. It just seems extreme that I should have to open this beast and fiddle just to turn its heat off.