Condenser keeps turning off

Old 08-23-14, 06:16 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condenser keeps turning off

So about 3 weeks ago i noticed the air becoming sticky. I went to the tstat and noticed the temp was approaching mid 80's and that the condenser wasn't running though the handlers fan was running. I popped out the batteries and wala the condenser kicked on. I then figured the tstat was going bad so I replaced it and the capacitor at the same time. While doing this i tripped the 3 amp fuse on the board in the handler and replaced that with a 5 amp ( couldn't track down 3 amp for the life of me. it seemed like this fixed it for a few days and then it started acting up again. Somewhere along the way called one of those 24/7 companies and the guy came out said he was impressed with all i did and upon investigating noticed condenser was dirty so he cleaned it and replaced a terminal end into the contactor as it was fried. His 15min of work cost me $385, so I am hesitant to call him back out. I retapped and sealed the plenums and replaced the cotactor. this seemed to work though the condenser would kick on really "hard" when it turned on. well nearly a week later I noticed the air again getting sticky and sure enough the condensor wasn't running but the handler fan was. I am out of Ideas but feel like it must be something simple like a relay or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-14, 06:29 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
also, when the tech was here he checked and my coolant levels were fine and balanced and my drain lines free and flowing.

Old 08-23-14, 07:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
You will need a multimeter.
Is the condenser getting 24 volts to the contactor?
If not do you have 24 volts at the wire nuts to the condenser?

If the contactor is getting 24 volts, is it pulled in?
If it is pulled in, do you have 240 volts on each side of the contactor?