Downstairs Berko Wall Heater

Old 08-24-14, 10:12 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Downstairs Berko Wall Heater

Downstairs we have one huge area that covers the whole house. I'm guessing about 1400 Square Feet. We have two Berko in Wall Heaters. Electric with three switches. Off, Heat, Fan. The off works fine, the fan works fine, the heat is the problem. Last winter I pushed the heat button on (dial is on high for max heat) and it started clicking in and the fan wouldn't turn on. I could feel the heater warming up. I tapped the side of the heater and the fan would start spinning and all worked fine throughout the winter. Every time I turned the heater on I would have to tap the side to get the fan to spin. Well you guessed it. Now the fan will not spin and the heater gets very hot. The first time I had to quick turn on the fan switch which then the fan started spinning and quickly cooled down the heater. It turned on and off while running just fine. It was the initial turn on when the fan didn't spin.

The Berko Heater is about 15 years old. Its a huge model and last year was able to price at $350.00. My question is: Is it serviceable rather than a new one. If it isn't what size and what model is recommended. The other heater works fine for now. Picture listed below? Thanks. Love this site.Name:  SAM_1527.jpg
Views: 2679
Size:  33.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-14, 10:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
You are going to need to remove power and get the cover off and get the model and serial number.
It would be better to get to the control and motor to get part numbers.
Enter this data in their website...

Parts Search | Berko

It is possible that your motor only needs a run capacitor but I'd wager that you have a shaded pole motor that doesn't use a capacitor.

Last edited by Houston204; 08-24-14 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling