rewire heat pump and air handler for heat

Old 09-06-14, 02:31 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rewire heat pump and air handler for heat

I have a Goodman cple 48-1 condenser which is currently only running as a/c. I have been told that I would have to change my inside air handler to run it as a heat pump.

How can I find out for sure if that is true or if I can just rewire it and run it as heat pump?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-14, 06:15 PM
More information is needed. Please post the make/model number of your air handler. Your air handler must be compatible such as an ARUF, ARPT, or AEPT series. These air handlers use electric heat strips for auxiliary heating which would mean the proper electrical service with correctly sized breakers. You will also need a thermostat capable of operating a heat pump and wired appropriately.

Old 09-08-14, 08:57 AM
J
The air handler is a Nordyne model: E2EH-015HA. Last year I used just the electric furnace for heat and it cost me a fortune. I learned since then that my outdoor condenser is actually a heat pump and so that's what I'm trying to get working.
Thermostat is filtrete 3M-30. I have the manual for the themostat so the wiring and set up for that will be no problem.

Old 09-08-14, 10:46 AM
S
Check to see if the stat has a wire on the O terminal.

Old 09-08-14, 10:47 AM
Here is a link to the service manual for your Nordyne air handler: http://www.nordyne.com/Literature/359a.pdf

On page 4 of the manual it states that it is adaptable for heat pump use and to look at Table 2 for additional info. It further states the E2EH models are equipped with a two speed blower and require the addition of a replay package for the addition of air conditioning or heat pump.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-08-14, 02:25 PM
J
the stat only has 4 wires coming to it. I replaced the original t-stat with this one and I know that the old one would not have worked on a heat pump. I will have to pull a new wire from the stat to the furnace to wire it correctly.

Old 09-08-14, 02:32 PM
I always pull an 8-conductor thermostat cable for heat pumps. Even if all of the wires are not used, it is a good idea to have extra ones available in case one is damaged for some reason, two-stage systems are installed later or a person wants to install an outdoor temperature sensor.

Old 09-08-14, 02:42 PM
J
That manual is helpful. The blower that is in it is 4 speed so that isn't original. There is an enclosed circuit board that could be the relay referenced in table 2 and shown in figure 1 on page 5. Since it is currently running A/C the relay is already required.

Thanks for your help. Now I know how I need proceed.

Old 09-08-14, 03:55 PM
Taking a quick look at the manual I linked it appears that the 4-speed blower is original (fig. 12 and fig 17). If you already have the relay box, as you more than likely do, it should not be a real problem to get it functioning as a heat pump. From the notes on the schematic (fig. 17) it appears the relay box is there to control the blower speeds.

As I am sure you are aware, a heat pump has a reversing valve so you will need to ensure that is still intact and wired to the controls properly. You will also need to program the thermostat to operate a heat pump so it can control the reversing valve as required.

As the manual shows, you can have a single or dual supply heating element. Here in my neck of the woods we normally use a 10KW heat strip for auxiliary heating as the winters are not that cold..

Old 10-03-14, 10:45 AM
J
I just got around to rewiring everything this morning. Everything seems to be working great.

Thanks for the help!

J

Old 10-03-14, 11:07 AM
Awesome! Great to hear you were able to re-wire it to operate as a heat pump. Thanks for the update.