sizing/heat pump

Old 09-22-14, 02:49 PM
sizing/heat pump

is there a chart that specifies the minimum size heat pump required , for the sq ft. of a home..for example a 1500 sq ft / a 2000 sq ft home-etc ..it is in TN.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-14, 05:28 AM
Upvotes Received: 3
A heat load calculation is the only way to know exactly what size unit you need. Square feet does not work.

Old 09-24-14, 09:39 AM
If this is in an existing house, and you are replacing an existing system, you could get a pretty good idea of the heat loss and hence size required for a new unit by looking at historical heating bills if they're available.

Old 09-24-14, 09:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 73
Back 1996 when I had my HP installed all the contractors that came out based the size on sq footage and then went up/down after factoring the insulation. They claimed 600 sq ft per ton. A heat load calculation is better! The better your house is insulated/sealed - the less demand there will be on the heat system.

Old 09-24-14, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the info.
Its a ranch style with the basic rolled insulation between the joist in crawlspace an the blown insulation in the upstairs attic about 5 inches .duck is 7" and insulated.
-its 1800sqft so im assuming a minimum 2.5 -3 ton

Old 09-28-14, 05:54 PM
I had two heat pumps installed in my home. The one downstairs seems to be fine. The one upstairs is def. not helping with humidity. I have a constant humidity level of at least 70% while HVAC is cooling upstairs nicely. The adjusted the blower but it didn't fix the problem. I have read that overselling is often times problem. If I were oversold, is there any recourse? Also, I have a carrier with a huge separate air filter segment with a very thick filter (I think MERV 15) Could that be part of the problem?

Old 09-29-14, 05:18 AM
Upvotes Received: 3
Filter is not the issue. Either the HVAC system is to big or the bath fans are being used for to short a time or not vented properly.