Heat pump not powering on

Old 09-23-14, 06:36 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump not powering on

Hi, would appreciate any help. A/C quit last night, went out to check today. Capacitor looks good. Noticed a small #3 blade fuse blown and replaced w/ no luck. Seen some other posts here about a contactor? Seems to be a possible reset button in middle on it (think I'm at right component) where the main power leads are attached. When I push in button, unit kicks on but back off when I release it. Is this possibly my problem? Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-14, 06:59 AM
It sounds like you either lost 24V to the contactor or the contactor coil is bad. Do you have a multimeter to test for voltage at the contactor? When you replaced the 3 amp fuse are you sure it didn't blow again? It will blow due to a wire with a bare spot (usually caused by rubbing on metal where it passes through openings) rubbing and causing a short to ground. Sometimes homeowners damage the thermostat wires between the house and the condenser while using a weed-eater or dogs chew on the wires. I suggest you check the fuse again and inspect those wires outside by the condenser to look for damage or a bare spot on the wires.

Old 09-23-14, 07:05 AM
M
Thanks for your reply, fuse is good. Spring loaded contact looks burnt though. Looks like power wire was shoved in a little too far. I have a voltmeter but not sure where to begin testing. No dogs to chew wires and haven"t done any weed eating in a week or so. Thanks

Old 09-23-14, 07:12 AM
The fact that the contactor looks burnt points to that as the root of your issue. I have attached a diagram with the basic test points at the contactor. Turn the thermostat to well below room temperature. Set you multimeter to volts AC and test voltages ACROSS L1 and L2, T1 and T2 and the 24V on the side of the contactor. Some contactors have the 24v terminals on the same side. Use extreme caution as the voltages are lethal.

Attached Images  
Old 09-23-14, 07:46 AM
M
Yeah, electricity scares me as I'm not a electrician. Cut all power and removed contactor and capacitor, going to parts store in a few, will advise on result. Thanks firedawg

Old 09-23-14, 02:55 PM
M
Success!!!!! New contactor did the trick, also took capacitor to hvac parts store to have checked and it was good. Thanks for help earlier Firedawg

Old 09-23-14, 03:05 PM
Great job! Glad you got it back in service and thanks for the update.