Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Heat Pumps and Electric Home Heating
Reload this Page >

oil furnace - no room for heat pump - would it be cheaper to use space heaters?

Old 10-06-14, 06:46 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am in Seattle. The house was built in 1962, bought it last year. It has the original giant oil furnace, running fine. Cost last year for oil was $3000. I had someone come and measure for a heat pump - there is no room between the top of the furnace and the ceiling to install the coil. I'm pretty sure he's right because he really wanted to sell me that heat pump. I could install an electric furnace (no gas for miles) or I was thinking of buying some good-quality electric space heaters, one per room (eight bedrooms) and then in the living room/kitchen there is a propane fireplace, maybe use that. I don't have more than a couple grand to put toward this and am not eligible for financing. Would the small electric space heaters wind up being an efficient method of heating? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-14, 06:30 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Why not remove the oil furnace altogether rather than add a heat pump coil to it , then you'd have lots of room.
Probably the oil furnace is old and inefficient so pure electric heat with space heaters might be okay but with Seattle's temperate climate I'd go with a heat pump system... maybe ductless split systems, advertised to my right on this page , might work too .

Old 10-07-14, 11:19 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks - can you explain further? Does the heat pump then do all the heating by itself? The salesman said there needs to be a furnace of some sort tied to the heat pump, he didn't say anything about the heat pump by itself. Isn't there some kind of deal where, if the temp dips below freezing, the heat pump (I was told I should get an air source pump) would need a backup system? Thanks for your help!

Old 10-08-14, 10:06 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There are probably lots of companies / contractors in the Seattle area that actually know something about heat pump systems ... probably a good start would be to do a search on "heat pump systems in the Seattle area" for example - or go to various heat pump manufacturer's web sites to get some ideas: for example: armstrongair.com, York.com, amana-hac.com and many many others - who you could discover with a little searching on this site and googling the internet.

It's true that in very cold weather an auxiliary heat sources is needed, but this is most commonly electric resistance heaters contained in the air handler (indoor blower box) .

The most important part is to find a knowledgeable dealer / contractor ; most manufacturer web sites typically offer lists of their dealers for your area - so that'd be a help.
There are also real experts on this forum who hopefully will offer professional guidance ...
ciao...