blower not working on heat

Old 10-11-14, 09:54 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
blower not working on heat

Hi guys pretty new to this type of repair, and been looking into my heat pump. which is not blowing hot air, or any air at all for that matter when set to heat-- i do get cool air when i set the system to cool and the blower on the indoor unit works fine. But as soon as i turn it to heat the blower just shuts off and dosent come back on. could this possibly be a problem in my thermostat? i checked the breakers on the heat pump unit itself and they are fine (a 30 and a 60) and a little purple fuse which looks like a n E on it and that is fine also. also notice the E heat part does get orange so i know the heat is working-- but still no blower

any ideas of what to look into would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Joe Brochue; 10-11-14 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling-- im kinda dumb
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-14, 11:00 AM
S
The E on the purple fuse is probably a 3. Are you talking about the fan on the heat pump outside that stops working?

Old 10-11-14, 12:07 PM
J
no, the blower in the heat pump itself. the indoor part

Old 10-11-14, 01:13 PM
To better assist, can you post the model number of your air handler? It could possibly be an internal contact issue inside the thermostat that doesn't connect the G, W and R terminals in heat mode. It could also be a wiring problem or relay issue inside the air handler.

Old 10-11-14, 01:28 PM
J
aruf364216ba its a goodman i believe-- they seem to have alot of issues - but most i find online are for getting the cold air to work

Old 10-11-14, 02:30 PM
Here is a link to a wiring diagram: http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/pdf/SS/SS-GARUF.pdf

Your air handler has a component called the EBDTR. I have attached a photo of what it looks like. The black relay on the left is the relay where the blower motor leads are connected. This may be where your problem lies. This diagram has black (high speed tap) on the EBTDR Com terminal. M1 and M2 are just a place to park the extra, unused fan speed wires.

To eliminate the thermostat as the problem I suggest you do the following:

Turn off power to the air handler.
Remove the wires from the R, G and W terminals at the thermostat.
Twist the bare ends of the three wires together (I like to use a blue wire nut)
Turn power back on to the air handler
If the blower comes on with the heat then it points to the thermostat as the problem and it will have to be replaced.

Attached Images  
Old 10-11-14, 07:05 PM
When you set the thermostat to heat does the outside condenser run? When there is a call for heat, the blower relay (EBTDR) in the previous photo receives 24V input from the G wire at the thermostat. Then the relay closes and sends voltage to the blower motor. This is in regular heating mode where the condenser outside is primary heat. When the thermostat is set to auxiliary or emergency heating the 24V is sent to a sequencer. The blower is not activated by the EBTDR but is energized by the sequencer. I am wondering if the thermostat is wired correctly, the thermostat is set up properly for heat pump operation and what terminals are jumpered (if any).

In my previous post I advised to twist the R, G and W wires together. That was to see if the blower will come on in auxiliary heat/emergency heat mode. To test the normal heat mode to see if the blower comes on you will need to twist the R, G and Y wires together.

If you could post a photo of your thermostat wiring and provide the model number of your thermostat, it will be beneficial to help sort this issue out.