Ductless Mini-Split Cleaning Help and Opinions

Old 10-12-14, 10:52 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ductless Mini-Split Cleaning Help and Opinions

Does anyone do their own full maintenance on these mini-split units which in my case are both Fujitsu and Mitsubishi? I clean the filters regularly. I've reverse flushed the outside condenser coil. They are easy to access by removing the top cover. I made a rig by modifying an old 30" watering wand which provides a pressure spray from hose. I will be using a mild coil cleaner also on these outdoor units.

My main question concerns the indoor units. It looks like the cleaning of this indoor coil and access to the condensate pan will require not just opening the panel, but removal of the surround housing. I planned on using a mini-split kit cleaning product sold by a local distributor that also has a strip to be placed in the pan. I am concerned about pulling this cover because it looks like it could be a real pain with the vanes etc to get it off and then get the flimsy housing back on. Any suggestions on this?

I'd like to get better access to the pan and fan although the fan is not that dirty yet. One aspect to be considered with mini-splits that is overlooked, because of their touted energy savings, are maintenance costs. Every indoor outdoor combination requires its own preventive maintenance. THANKS!

PS: It might help to have a separate sub HVAC topic that deals with MINI-Splits or PTAC. They seem to be discussed in both central HP heating and central air.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-14, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,029 Votes on 955 Posts
That's ok.... you can post in either forum. Basically the same crew covers both anyway.

The interior part of a split unit is not designed for easy maintenance or service. Many times it will take two people to perform most tasks as the unit is tethered to the wall with a lineset and power cable.

With some units you remove the screws from the back plate to get the entire cover off. That is a definite two person operation.

Old 10-16-14, 08:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks PJmax. Can the indoor coil be cleaned sufficiently by using those special foaming cleaners in an aerosol can, and then using a spray bottle with water to rinse them without removing the housing? Making sure the pan does not overflow?

I've already cleaned out the outdoor compressor units and coils. Based on what I've heard the techs basically only clean the filters and exposed coil without doing much else to the indoor unit. Some use the bibs where the unit is cleaned and rinsed, and dirty water falls into a plastic bag. Thanks again.