Electric furnace not heating

Old 10-15-14, 07:51 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric furnace not heating

Hello everyone,

Its just now starting to get cold here in Texas, and today I found out that my mobile homes Electric Furnace does not work. So far, I have tried the following to troubleshoot.

Removed Honeywell thermostat face and played with the wires. All wires are as they should be, and are screwed in tightly. I also took the R and W wires out and manually twisted them together - no heat was produced nor was any noise heard.

I found my Furnace and noticed a switch on the top of it. It was on auto, so I toggled it to on instead. This seems to control the blower, and does not produce heat. Also, if it matters, I can use the blower just fine by turning it on via my thermostat.

Any ideas on what I might be able to try before I call an HVAC company to come out and take a look?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-14, 09:54 AM
S
Do you have a heat pump outside?

Old 10-15-14, 10:15 AM
R
Im not sure buddy, how would I go about checking?

I have not seen one on the property, and I dont think there was one under the house. Would there be a way to trace/find it?

Old 10-15-14, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,029 Votes on 955 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A heatpump is an air conditioner that runs in reverse for heat.... so in other words..... did your outside unit run in the winter before ?

Your furnace has a switch on it for the blower..... so that sounds like a Coleman/Evcon unit.
Can you post the model number for us ?

Your electric furnace most likely has electric heating coils in it, whether or not it's a heatpump, so that would mean there should be a large service disconnect or breaker for them. Check to make sure that is turned on.

Old 10-15-14, 02:47 PM
R
Thanks PJmax,

The unit is a Nordyne and the model number is FEHA-015HA-01

On the front there is a black handle sticking out that says pull to disconnect. I yanked that out and it has a series of four squares of copper in it all side by side. Put it back in, but still having the same problem. Is that the breaker you were talking about?

Also, I know this isnt helpful, but I cant really remember if the outside unit ran last year when we used the heater. I only use the heater two or three months out of the year, and mostly during the evenings. Sorry, ill ask the wife and see if she can remember if it ran or not.

Old 10-15-14, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
It appears that you have an electric furnace only.

That's a service disconnect. There should be a large breaker for it in the panel.

I'm going back out on the road.... in the meantime.... see if the unit makes a loud click when you call for heat.

Old 10-15-14, 06:43 PM
There may be a larger circuit breaker, 60 Amps or more, in your service panel. Some of these electric furnaces have two power supplies so, if that's the case, there would be two separate breakers. If the fan runs with the switch in the "ON" position, that could be a possibility.

Another possibility may be that the wiring to the thermostat may be damaged somewhere or the transformer in the furnace may have burned out. The sequencers cant turn on the heater coils without the signal from the thermostat.

Old 10-15-14, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
The OP stated that the thermostat will turn the fan on.... that means the transformer is ok.

Old 10-17-14, 01:02 PM
R
Im sorry for the delay, work had me out since my last post.

When the heat mode is selected on the thermostat I hear a click. It sounds close, so I assume it is coming from the thermostat itself. I hear the same click any time it changes modes. Aside from that click, there is no noise issued.

Also, I found a breaker labled Furnace in my box. It is the only thing that I can see being related to my heater, and it seems to be in good condition. Its a double breaker, or whatever you would call two switches that are put together to form one breaker, and has a 90 marked on the top.

Old 10-17-14, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
That two pole 90A breaker is most likely the one for the electric coils.

There is one or several contactors/sequencers inside your furnace that turn on the heating coils and the blower fan. At this point you would need a voltmeter to check inside the furnace. It doesn't appear to be an external problem.

We can walk you thru it but you do need a volt/ohmmeter.

Old 10-18-14, 07:57 PM
R
Thanks again PJ, yall are some damn good people here at doityourself.

I think you can mark this issue as resolved though. My sister in law noticed my inside breakerbox smoking/smelling a little today when she came over for a BBQ. It feels like the main breaker is overheating, and judging from the looks of it when I took the panel off it is pretty old. My AC is now refusing to turn on.

Im fairly certain its an issue with my breaker box. Until I can have an electrician come out and look at things I have electricity down to a minimum at my house and im keeping an eye on the box itself. I dont see any arcing, but theres definitely some wear and tear on that main 200v breaker. My money says that there is something in that breaker box causing my AC/heat to act up.

Thanks again very much everyone for your help. You're good people. Consider this issue fixed, and once I get an electrician out ill update and let yall know how things go.

Old 10-21-14, 10:40 AM
R
Electricians out, had to replace my inside breaker box. Was an older model (westinghouse) that nobody had parts for here in my area >.<

AC works fine now, but the heater is still not turning on. I assume it has to be a fault with the heater itself. Calling an hvac to come take a look at it when I have my next set of days off.

Old 10-21-14, 11:36 PM
Group Moderator
We'll be here if you need us.