Ruud awakening. heat Pump fan does not heed the call.

Old 10-17-14, 04:29 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ruud awakening. heat Pump fan does not heed the call.

My electric furnace comes on as it should but after feeling only a breeze at the registers, I looked into the heat pump to see that the blades were not spinning. I have a RUUD thermostat, Coleman Furnace, and Ruud UPKA-036JAZ heat pump.

Preface. The dog chewed the red rubber bulb off of the high pressure reset switch off 7 years ago. So I don't think I can reset.

I checked the Contactor: Probably needs replacing. I ran a ohm test between "C"s I think that's where you check the coil? I got a reading of 9.6- (I believe that is fine between 9-12ohms)

The spring loaded connector, when pushed down activated the fan and it spins fine. But when I call for heat the fan does not come on immediately- is there a lag I never noticed before?

The filter is new today, there are no clogged ducts or returns. Would the tripped high pressure switch keep the fan in the heat pump from spinning?
Can I reset he switch without installing a new one. Is there a way to replace the high pressure switch without evacuating the system of freeon- or is there a Schrader or some other type valve?
What other thing can I check?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-14, 02:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Yes a high pressure switch trip would keep the outdoor fan and compressor from running.

A restriction of air flow across the outdoor unit in cool mode or a restriction of airflow across the indoor coil in heat mode would trip a high pressure switch.

So a dirty air filter, dirty coil, fan motor problem, or a dirty dirty blower wheel can trip the switch depending on the mode of operation.

You can measure across the pressure switch for 24 volts AC to verify if it has locked out the outdoor unit.