Regarding heat pump

Old 10-27-14, 12:23 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Regarding heat pump

To start things off I had a issue w/ DSS ( Dirty Sock Syndrome ); last year, I got the contractor to come out & install a new coated coil & that seem to have fixed the issue, well I think anyhow.

This fall here some nights got chilly & I had to switch it from cool to heating & then I noticed a smell I actually cannot hardly tell if its a strong DSS smell or if its the coated coil giving off the smell but anyhow; the smell occurs around 20 to 30 secs. once in defrost mode & then Aux kicks in & no more strange smell. I am thinking if this is a DSS it wouldn't quick that fast ?

I am not sure if this can be called DSS but any advise & or anyone else experiencing such strange issue or maybe not so much strange lol

I have a Trane 13SHEER w/ air handler.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-14, 06:16 PM
J
I checked my system further - I done a cycle through I had it on cooling & then cycled it over to heat & it gave off a light smell like DSS but it went away right around half a min.

I am confused as I had a coated coil installed last year in the unit. Should I check my drain pan, check the coil? spray some foam cleaner on it or simply call the tech guy back in?

Please any help is much appreciated.

Old 10-28-14, 06:29 AM
It is probably the fact the heat is causing the new coated coil to give off the smell similar to when a lawn mower engine is painted and gets hot for the first time. It gives off an odor for a short time and then goes away. It would be a good idea to contact the company that installed the new coil and ask them if it is normal for the coil to give off an odor for a short time or if there is another issue that needs to be addressed such as odors coming from the condensate drain pan or drain line.

Old 10-28-14, 09:55 AM
J
I can open the unit & look at the drain pan, & see what it looks like in there., Would it hurt if I pour alittle 50/50 mix of bleach and water into the pan would that help? Then if that works I'll purchase some tablets that release slowly & drop in the pan?

Again tho the smell is similar to the DSS smell & a paint hot smell - its hard to describe. But again it only last around 30 secs tops once I cycle it from A/C to Heat to as you know makes the smell of DSS occur then. So I am really confused on this, but would this be considered DSS syndrome where it only does it 30 secs tops?

Anyone else?

Old 10-28-14, 04:49 PM
J
*** Update *** I got up in the attic & opened the side panel on the air handler & the Evaporator coil looks clean expect on the side that I could see had like white spots on it & in the drain pan was dry expect like white power looking stuff in the tray Any thoughts anyone??

Old 10-29-14, 05:18 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Could be calcium deposits. If your only getting a few seconds worth of smell Id clean and treat the coil and drain and leave it alone