York heat pump wiring help

Old 11-01-14, 07:25 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York heat pump wiring help

Lookin for some reassurance that my unit is hooked up correctly. I'll post pictures and then explain. Thanks in advance.

Outside unit wiring

Inside

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-14, 07:58 AM
W
From what I've read, most don't like the nest thermostat, but that's what I've had. Version 2 and it's been working for around a year. Just wanted to make sure and try to understand how it's all hooked up.

I don't understand why W, W1, and W2 are all jumped together? I believe it's single state cooling with dual heat, but not positive.

Old 11-01-14, 08:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,049 Votes on 973 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The wiring colors are beautiful and go well together.
You do realize we know absolutely nothing about your equipment as you haven't mentioned any make or model number(s).

In the upper picture.... green and orange on the O terminal looks strange.
In the lower picture... a green wire on G and W2 looks strange.

Old 11-01-14, 08:46 AM
W
Sorry, it's a York model # e4fh030s06a

In the outside unit pic, the green is in the W1 position with a jumper wire to W and another jumper wire to W2.

In the indoor unit, the G goes to the thermostat and the W2 goes to the outdoor unit.

Glad you like my color combinations, I appreciate the help, thanks.

Jim

PS, I did give you the brand in the thread title, ha

Old 11-02-14, 09:00 AM
W
Anyone have any ideas? Any info/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-02-14, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
http://johnsonsupply.com/york2001/PUB/51528/OUT/N3y.pdf

The wiring diagram for the EF4H heat pump shows it a little differently...
Name:  York EF4H.jpg
Views: 20507
Size:  38.1 KB

Old 11-02-14, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,049 Votes on 973 Posts
PS, I did give you the brand in the thread title, ha
I edited the title and put York in it to make the thread easier to identify.

Old 11-02-14, 05:57 PM
W
Can someone tell me why W, W1, and W2 are jumped?

Old 11-02-14, 06:36 PM
The reason the W, W1 and W2 are jumped is because that is the way the installer wired it. What this means is that when the auxiliary or emergency heat is turned on all stages of heat will come on at the same time. As Houston204 stated and as shown in the wiring diagram he posted, the W is connected at the thermostat and at the condenser. W1 and W2 are connected at the air handler heat strips and the condenser. W1 and W2 normally means there are two stages of auxiliary heat and can be brought on separately or jumpered to come on together to provide maximum heat.

Old 11-03-14, 10:22 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The way W, W1, W2 interact on the Yorks I've had is:

W is asserted at the thermostat, either as auxiliary(2nd or 3rd stage depending on thermostat) or emergency heat. The outdoor unit interprets W with Y on(the compressor signal) to be an auxiliary request, while W with Y off as an emergency request.
The control board, in response to a W signal will assert a combination of W1 and W2 (e.g. W1 only, W1+W2, maybe W2 only) to signal the air handler to activate one of four possible combinations of auxiliary heaters.
W1 and or W2 are also asserted when the outdoor unit decides it is defrost time.
The timing of when W1 and W2 are asserted depends on the ambient temperature, the balance point jumper and whether it's an emergency or auxiliary request or a defrost cycle.

Having W, W1 and W2 connected seems very wrong if your control board functions as described above. At best, W from the thermostat would turn auxiliary heaters full on; at worst, if the control board ever asserts W1 or W2, then that signal feeds back to W, and the control board is locked in a auxiliary heat-on loop. I wonder how your system behaves ?

As PJmax has noted, some connections look strange ... and the schematic provided by Houston204 is more or less what one would expect to see.

If the thermostat provides an auxiliary (or 2nd or 3rd stage heat) connection separate from the Emergency connection, that can be conveniently connected directly to the air handler W1 or W2 ... or it can be jumpered to Emergency W depending on your comfort / cost tradeoff preference.

This exposition may not apply to your setup ... after all, your system apparently works okay which I would not expect from the wiring you've shown.
And one wonders how the Nest thermostat works; and the control board in your photo does look pretty spare.
Is it possible for you to trace the wiring and produce a schematic similar to the one Houston 204 provided ?