Smell From Air Handler

Old 11-12-14, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smell From Air Handler

Mod Note: Separated from: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/he...rost-mode.html

I kind of have a similar smell as well. Also trane airhandler system (TAM 7 with XL15i). But it seems to only happen when cooling or the fan circulating. Right now its a faint sweet smell. If I open the air handler compartment, I smell it at the bottom of the coils near the drain pan. I suspected its some sort of DSS issue as it happened during Canadian thanksgiving (about a month of operation), as we alternated between heating and cooling and then turned off the unit for 3 days. When it first came it was an awful odour for just a minute or two but has since lessened to a faint sweet smell. I suspected a leak and had the installer come to check it. He acknowledged the smell and attributed it to the aluminum being new. He also checked the pressure and said that it was fine. He did not do a leak test, and assured me that there was no leak. He also had me smell the refrigerant from his tester which although sweet was more tangy and acohol like. The prognosis was to run it for a few months to see if it goes away. I've tried the following: pouring vinegar in the drain pan and then rinse it after an hour to see if it was mold; turning the aux heat on for an hour or two to burn whatever is smelling. I put the fan to on for a few days and that actually almost got rid of the smell. But as soon as I put the fan back to auto, it started smelling again. note: you cannot smell it when its heating.

Last edited by ray2047; 11-12-14 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-14, 11:34 AM
If your getting cold air when in defrost mode then the AUX heat is failing to come on.

Old 11-12-14, 11:51 AM
Do you think that "mystery" piece of styrofoam touching the hot blower motor could be the cause of the smell? I would remove that styrofoam and see if the smell goes away.

Old 11-12-14, 12:24 PM
yeah that's why I was looking in there, to see if anything foreign was there, but it happens also when the unit has been off for awhile and I just turn the fan on. Does the motor get hot enough in a few seconds to heat up the styrofoam? Also, the smell seems to come from the air handler area and not the blower area. I don't think its related to the defrost cycle as its hasn't been clod enough to defrost.

Old 11-12-14, 01:16 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Is duct liner in the return box? Is it new? What about the glue used to glue it?

Old 11-12-14, 02:09 PM
No old return and no duct liner in it. Duct liner is in supply plenum only. I smell it near the bottom of the air hadnler coil, near the drain pan I think

Old 11-14-14, 12:46 PM
I'm begining to think its a very small leak in the coil. I removed the styrofoam with no change, and noticed that at the very begining when the heat comes on there is a sweet smell for a few seconds. So my theory is that the R410a builds up very slowly in the air handler when its not heating, and then as soon as the blower comes on it blows it out the vents. When the heat stops, it them slowly accumulates. The installer had checked the pressure but I think because its such a small leak that it didn't affect the overall pressure. I ordered an inexpensive refrigerant detector elenco wjl-6000 to see if I can detect it once it builds up in the air handler.