Coleman Electric 220V 60amp Model 60868842 furnace - new motor installation

Old 11-17-14, 12:57 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Coleman Electric 220V 60amp Model 60868842 furnace - new motor installation

I had a local HVAC repairman estimate work on my furnace and although they gave an understandable quote as a business, my Social Security income makes it cost prohibitive to spend $350+ $75 pr hr labor for a new motor (he diagnosed that was what was wrong).

SO I purchased a new motor online with a new capacitor for that motor, and need to wire it up. Problem is, the repairman left the two wires loose on the old unit, and I do not know where to plug in the new leads from the motor.

I have included an attachment of the photo of the furnace's wiring bracket, and internal guts.

Can someone tell me from the photo where the wires are suppose to go to?

The wires are red and white but I am not positive they are factory. There are only two wires to set the fan up as a one speed motor.

Below are the photo attachments and the system information:

Where should I connect those two wires?

Thank you all in advance!

Drew

Coleman 4 element Model 6086A842 (title has wrong number...is missing the "A"
single phase 208V-230V

Name:  Dsc02062.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  41.8 KB
Name:  Dsc02063.jpg
Views: 2005
Size:  45.6 KB
Name:  Dsc02064.jpg
Views: 3879
Size:  50.8 KB

Last edited by djd103; 11-17-14 at 03:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-14, 03:03 PM
S
That model number doesn't look right, should have some letter's in it. Look inside the furnace for the model number.

Ok, I see that's the number of the heat kit. The new motor only has two wire's?

Last edited by skaggsje; 11-17-14 at 03:08 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-17-14, 03:34 PM
D
In answer to new motor and wires....

The new motor is only a single speed. That old motor is no longer produced.
The number for the Coleman furnace: 6086A842

I had accidentally left out the "A" in the original post and have changed that. Sorry.

Old 11-17-14, 03:52 PM
S
That model number doesn't come up. Are there any other number's in the furnace? Does this furnace have a A coil on it?

Old 11-17-14, 04:45 PM
D
Oh and so sorry, there are more wires to the motor itself yes, but two go to the capacitor if I am right, correct?

They are:

purple and yellow are set up for rotation of motor?

WHITE where in the photos do the white and black wires go please?
BLACK
BROWN : CAPACITOR
BROWN/WHITE : CAPACITOR

The white and red wires in photos are the ones to the old motor of course

Old 11-17-14, 04:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
A clear picture of your wiring diagram would be of great assistance.

Old 11-18-14, 10:41 AM
D
There is a motor number only EXCEPT for the unit's model number given Model 6086A842 and as I mentioned, it is no longer in production...so I purchased a new model replacement , here it is:

old motor number: 5KCP39MG-A2125

new motor replacement: Fasco D7908 Name:  41AfiBJFavL._SX342_.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  10.7 KB

but see above wiring diagram (or below?)

Old 11-18-14, 10:48 AM
To assist you, you will either need to post the model number of the furnace or post a clear, in-focus photo of the wiring diagram.

Old 11-18-14, 10:52 AM
D
WIRING DIAGRAM - Self explanatory to a dunce like me but....

Name:  Dsc02069.jpg
Views: 2052
Size:  32.2 KB

any tips besides the obvious?

I noticed a difference in motor specs in that this one tho a 220V, 1050rpm and deminsions are correct, it is none the less a 2.6 Amp instead of a 3.2 Amp
... Is this going to give me problems>>>???

(Note to myself)

IF ALL ELSE FAILS...READ THE DESTRUCTIONS!!!!

This was on the unseen side of the fan housing, and I had looked on doors, cover panels and inside the furnace...last place I looked of course was here.

And that is a furnace model number of 6086A842 sorry for teh confusion, please be patient with a newbie rookie on such matters..

Old 11-18-14, 10:58 AM
D
That's the best definition it will allow me to post sorry....

On the wiring diagram it says:

"20KW: red wire to Red Motor Terminal"

"25KW: red wire to BLUE Motor Terminal"

and

It shows "White Common" to "White on wiring block terminal"

and

It shows "High: BLK"
"Med: Blue"
"Low: Red" ....motor terminals

My duct work is amazingly small per what I would think it would be to remain efficient, so I "presume" I need a high setting for the motor terminals?

Old 11-18-14, 11:29 AM
S
I would use the Blue, medium speed to start with.

Old 12-06-14, 12:23 PM
D
Lightbulb Okay, back to the grind

This motor came far different than the diagrams I found for it online. It was advertised "one speed" and once installing it, and had to reverse the purple wires to get it to rotate in the right direction, I find that it "BLOWS THE WALLS DOWN! haha It does not have the options of four tab connectors for speeds of motor selection. It is direct wired itno teh motor and I would have to completely take the motor apart to access the wiring inside to resolder it to a different connection and I am not capable of internal operations like that. SO......

Its on high speed and blowing so much air it actually blows up and out the intake portions of the intake area of the fan housing, and it is for sure turning in the right direction, just TOO much air!

Is there some kind of a reducer or limiter switch I can buy for between the voltage main feed to the motor and the motor itself to reduce the speed of the fan, a fan controller switch or something. Its so loud you can't sleep in the bedroom and its only suppose to be 1075 rpm.

It's my just deserves for trying to save money but...am stuck with a wind turbine that works TOO good. It just shoves so much air, the duct work and lower chamber under the heating elements can't handle the air flow.

Any suggestions besides the obvious (buy a more expensive and properly regulated functioning motor for $200+) are welcome.

Drew

Old 12-06-14, 12:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 853 Posts
Is this motor even close to what you need ?
If it was capable of multiple speeds...... it would be labeled as such and have multiple wiring taps that exit the motor.

Other than a variable frequency drive control there isn't any way to slow down the motor. A VFD would cost several hundred dollars.

Old 12-06-14, 01:36 PM
D
Thank you, this is what I was afraid of. This motor came recommended as a replacement used by some for the same purpose and no one had mentioned anything about excessive air flow but....its the price I pay like I said, for inexperienced efforts to save money and the inability to afford the true replacement online or from the local HVAC store. It will work and heats the place but...its windy. Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I am stuck with it unless I find a suitable fix.

Old 12-06-14, 03:43 PM
S
I think you bought a condenser motor instead of a blower motor. What is the RPM on the new motor.

Old 12-06-14, 04:59 PM
D
It is advertised at 1050 rpm but I think it is way over that. As far as a condenser motor, it may very well be. I seem to remember someone referring to that on one of their posts when I did a search on a Fasco D7908 . I am sort of stuck with it now though.

Old 12-07-14, 01:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Yep, you now have a condenser fan motor instead of a blower motor installed...

Fasco D7908 5.6-Inch Condenser Fan Motor, 1/3 HP, 208-230 Volts, 1075 RPM, 1 Speed, 2.6 Amps, Totally Enclosed, Reversible Rotation, Ball Bearing

If it drops out due to high amperage you should replace it with a 3 speed blower motor...

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-FD1036-2...3+blower+motor

A.O. Smith FD1036 1/3 HP, 1075 RPM, 3 Speed, 208-230 Volts2.1-3.0 Amps, 48 Frame, Sleeve Bearing Direct Drive Blower Motor

Old 12-07-14, 10:15 AM
D
Houston (and everyone else) ...

Thanks so much for the help. Some of us are just naturally low-knowledged (ignorant) about these matters through shear lack of experience. where i thought I was making a smart move, following others out there in their pursuit to DIY repairs, I just re-routed my troubles into a different box canyon. For now the motor is working and I thank you for that link. I am sure it is going to be my rescue as that price is far cheaper than the other motors I found.

I do appreciate everyone's patience and politeness. The site here is worth its weight in gold for helping us who know so little and need so much. Thumbs up and KUDOS to you all who take the time and have the patience to help.

With your help, I was at least abler to get "some" heat going here and haven't frozen yet. Even though its a "typhoon" it is still heat and overly capable of keeping us warm. Prior to this, we were staying unfrozen by using an oil base heater and a space heater or two depending on the weather. Thanks so very much again...

Drew