Heat pump help

Old 12-13-14, 08:09 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump help- auxillary heat on too often

Hello,

We moved into a new house last year with a heat pump and are trying to find ways to cut back on costs. We spend most of our time on the main floor and have a propane fireplace that we use when home which keeps the heat from turning on. I live in Central Indiana and for the last month lows were in the mid 20s and highs were in the mid 30s on average. Our electric bill was much higher than expected. I think a lot of our problems are coming from the fact that the auxillary heat is turning on way too often and am considering either changing my thermostat settings or getting a new thermostat where I have better control of the aux heat settings.

We currently have a Honeywell TH8320U1008 set up as follows:
Sleep- 63 10pm-7am
Wake-65 7am-830am
Leave-60 830am-5pm
Return-65 5pm-10 pm Once we get home we usually turn the fireplace on with the remote thermostat on it set to 67 so the heat doesn't really run once it gets up to tem.

There is no outdoor temp sensor and even if there was when I look at the manual the lowest auxillary heat lockout temp is 40 degrees which would not really help.

My heatpump is a tempstar T4H736GKD200 and the airhandler is FVM4X4800A.

So what can I do? Wi9th these settings are electric bill jumped from 90$ in the Oct-Nov cycle to $240 for the Nov-Dec cycle. Do I set the temp at 63 and just leave it. Would getting a thermostat such as the ecobee help by allowing me to set the aux heat to a very low temp to kick on and having it set so the main heat runs 30 minutes before turning on aux?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-14, 08:20 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Setting the thermostat to low when your not there is a sure way for it to have to kick in the emergency heat to get to temp.
Taking a long hard look at the big picture may save on energy cost.
Air sealing the attic, taking a look at the amount of insulation up there, (in your area it should be about R-50 which is 12") seeing if your local power company or some other organization offer an energy audit.
Air leaking in around windows and door is one of the biggest causes of heat loss.
Has the rim joist been insulated?
Any insulation under the floors?

Old 12-13-14, 08:29 AM
N
Hi the house was built in 1993 and has high quality casement windows and is well insulated throughout. We had an energy audit last year from the power company and after being here for a detailed evaluation the only changes they recommended were switching out our light bulbs. Said installation windows etc were all what thy needed to be

Old 12-13-14, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 932 Votes on 869 Posts
It has been found that with a heatpump system..... all savings are lost when a programmable thermostat is used with aggressive setbacks.

I would definitely try leaving it set for 63-64.