Heat pump not working right?

Old 12-14-14, 06:28 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump not working right?

My heat pump system is 3 years old and is a high efficiency 3 ton tempstat model 17 seer/9.2 hspf but my electric bill is crazy. From oct-nov we used 932kwh which is about our avg. from bov-dec we used 2399kwh and the only thing that changed was heat usage.

The house is well insulated with high quality windows and is tight. We had an energy audit last year and they couldn't identify any improvements that they said would be worth the cost. Everything met or exceeded their recommendations.

We keep the heat somewhere between 63-68 and since there are just 2 of us we use the new high efficiency propane fireplace nearly every evening from 6p-10p so the heat pump doesnt even need to run during that time frame. Avg temp was in mid 30s highs and upper 20s for lows last month.

So that many kwh doesn't seem right to me based on our minimal usage. I'm planning to have someone come out and check it but is there anything specific we should be considering? Does this amount of kwh usage sound normal? We can't compare to when first installed because we our new owners of the home.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-14, 03:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Votes on 231 Posts
The HVAC guys will be along later but are you moving the thermostat up/down? Whenever the stat is moved more than a degree or two, the back up heat strips will kick in to heat the house quicker and they use a lot of electricity! I disconnected the heat strips on my HP because my wife likes to play with the thermostat .... but I also supplement our HP with a wood stove when it gets real cold.

Old 12-15-14, 07:07 AM
S
Yes, marksr is right, 5* setback is to much for a heat pump. Set at one temperature and leave it. You will see those KW's go down.

Old 12-16-14, 04:25 AM
K
Get a honeywell th6320 or better thermostat installed by a honeywell dealer, should come with a 5 year warranty and have a economy setting for programming. If the heat is programmed to 72 at 7:00am the thermostat will learn when to turn the heat to get the home to 72 by 7. Might start at 4:00 am to get to temp by 7 using just the heat pump. I like the th6320wf the wifi is great and the app is very easy to use.