question on amana heat pump

Old 12-21-14, 02:22 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
question on amana heat pump

I have a new install of amana aph 1536 complete heat pump system and wanted to know if the dipswitch settings would factor in on the auxilary heat not kicking in,but regular heat does.Its also a newer basic honeywell digital thermostat.Anything else to check?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-14, 03:56 PM
Does the model number end in M41? If you provide model number of thermostat it will assist to ensure you have the correct thermostat and properly configured to properly operate your system. The dip switches are used to configure the blower operation and don't control the auxiliary heat function. On yours, dip switches #1 and #2 need to be set to electric heat and #4 to ON. See attachment for settings.

Attached Images  

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 12-21-14 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Added attachment
Old 12-21-14, 07:36 PM
T
yep it does end in that ..its aph1536m41aa and is on original settings.I get regular heat but not auxillary.I will double check settings .

Old 12-21-14, 07:44 PM
Was the thermostat configured as a heat pump with auxiliary heat in the setup menu? Have you tried to set the thermostat to Emergency heat to see if the strips energize? I have attached an excerpt that states if auxiliary heat is used a two stage heat/two-stage cool thermostat would be installed. In addition, if auxiliary heating is installed, they may be controlled by outdoor thermostats?

Is your thermostat capable of controlling two hear/two cool and do you have any outdoor thermostats installed?

Attached Images  

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 12-21-14 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-22-14, 08:47 AM
T
Yes it has been configured as to heat pump with aux.when turned on to emergency heat via switch nothing energizes coils..Is it possible on the new system that a jumper is required at the thermostat from heat to aux ? it wasnt set like that with older system though .
ill look into the other info also.

Thermostat a honeywell digital non programmable rth3100c- common in stores- is that type compatable?

Old 12-22-14, 10:24 AM
Do you have separate wires for auxiliary and emergency heat at the thermostat? Have you checked the connection at the heat strips to make sure it is fully seated? Are the breakers for the heat strip(s) turned on?

Old 12-22-14, 01:20 PM
T
Here are a few of the pics.It has regular heat and emergency heat -says aux on wiring set up..the 1st diagram chart 24-43 applies to my APH unit-note no low cool ..the last chart is from the honeywell site on thermostat..

at unit i have the E -blue wire hooked with the w1 heat 2nd
and the tan AUX wire w2 to the brown wire w2 heat 3rd

Attached Images     

Last edited by trotter; 12-22-14 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-22-14, 01:29 PM
What I suggest is to turn off power to the air handler. Then remove the wires from the R, G and W terminals and twist them together. Restore power and see if the heat strip and blower comes on. If so, as that test bypasses the thermostat, it would point to a problem with the thermostat or wiring to the heat strip. You can do the same for the wire on the E terminal at the thermostat.

Old 12-22-14, 02:55 PM
T
Thanks,correct me if im wrong but isnt the brown wire--going to aux heat w2 heat,off tan wire AUX, the one i need to be energizing - it has a 10kw heat coils for aux so i thought id need the high power on for coils to heat (aux).

Old 12-22-14, 03:06 PM
According to the wiring designation you show in post #7, the Aux terminal (W1) should have a white wire and the E (W2) terminal a brown wire. I assume the off tan wire you have connected is the white. Unless the heat strips are staged, installers often times wire-nut the W1 and W2 wires together at the air handler. Aux heat and Emergency heat use the same strips. Emergency heat is only used when there is a problem with the heat pump condenser. The electric heats strips are used to provide heat and the outside unit is locked out until repairs are made.

If you have verified the wiring connections for the strips are tight, then the best way to see if it is a thermostat issue or another issue is to twist the wires together as described earlier.

Old 12-23-14, 03:40 PM
T
I did that test an only fan was on which is good..I also tried the jumper on aux to heat in thermostat with no avail.if I have 3 wires coming in ,I think #6 or #8 from cut off ,2 hot 1 ground ,is that not enough for the 10kw to engage?.

Old 12-23-14, 04:02 PM
I also tried the jumper on aux to heat in thermostat with no avail
Connecting the R and the W wires at the thermostat should cause the heat strip to energize if all is wired correctly. The reason to add the fan to the mix is so the heat strip will not overheat. It sounds like a wiring problem or a bad relay/sequencer in the air handler/ Did you verify the circuit breaker to the heat strip was turned on? You will need to use a voltmeter to test the wiring inside the air handler to see if you have voltage coming in to and out of the heat strip control.

Old 12-23-14, 07:32 PM
T
No I did it direct at unit an bypassed thermostat ..
If I have the #6 or #8 wires,2, is that enough to carry load for the emergency heat on main wiring to unit?

Old 12-23-14, 07:42 PM
Is your heat strip like the one shown in the attached photo. That is the one the data shows is the correct one for your unit for 10 kilowatts. It is an easy connection. The white plug shown at the top right in the photo connects into the air handler wiring harness. Do you have the circuit breaker type heat strip or is one breaker protecting the entire air handler w/strips? There should be a label on the heat strip package that specifies what size breaker is required. For the air handler with a 10kw heat strip package it will probably require a 60 amp breaker.

Here is a guide for the HKR series heat strips:

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related...structions.pdf

Attached Images  

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 12-23-14 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 12-23-14, 11:23 PM
T
i have a set of 2 pairs of 60 amp older style pull out type bus fuses- 4 in all .ill look and see that its connected,mine does look like the pic going by the coils

Old 12-24-14, 04:57 AM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
Is there a wiring Dia of the whole unit you can post?
Geo

Old 12-24-14, 05:18 AM
You shouldn't need line voltage to the heater section to test the thermostat wires,the relays sequencers are usually controlled from the same transformer in the air handler..
Geo

Old 12-24-14, 03:36 PM
T
not sure if file loaded but its the pdf and diagram is on last few pages

file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Owner/LOCALS~1/Temp/6275912317.pdf

ill try to get pics on it

Old 12-24-14, 04:48 PM
Here are links to the installation and service manuals:

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related...e%20Manual.pdf

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related...structions.pdf

The wiring diagram is on page 15 in the installation manual and the heat strip kit diagram is on page 52 of the service manual.

Old 12-24-14, 04:49 PM
T
here are some diagrams and the wiring from old hook up and new and blue/brown were to be switched by diagram as in earlier post..new board has dipswitch on it

Attached Images        
Old 12-24-14, 05:20 PM
Here is an excerpt from the HKR heat strip wiring diagram on page 52 of the service manual. It appears that the brown wire (5) is not used on the 9-pin plug from the 10KW heat strip kit.

The brown wire is for a second stage of auxiliary heat and the white wire is first stage of auxiliary. The 10KW kit probably only uses one stage, so you don't need the brown. On your thermostat in the house, you should have the white wire connected to the Aux terminal. You should have the same wiring configuration in the low voltage control section of the unit. The brown wire is not needed with the 10KW kit and can be taped off. You can use a jumper between the Aux and E terminal at the thermostat.

Of course, the above is subject to verification of the wiring configuration at your actual system. Changes are made by the manufacturer. The diagram should assist you in verifying required voltages are present for proper operation.

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-14, 06:13 PM
T
So i will need to disconnect the brown wire -unit from the blue-thermostat E wire..
what do i do with the end of that blue E wire,from thermostat to unit just cap it off at unit or does it need to be tied in ?

Last edited by trotter; 12-24-14 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 06:41 PM
Before doing that I would check the white 9-pin connector that comes from your heat strip to see if there is a brown wire in the #5 terminal. In the wiring diagram I attached, the PLM block numbered 1-9 represents the 9-pin white plug with the red, black, purple, white and blue wires. If the brown wire is in the plug it appears it would be between the white and blue wires. Looking at the white plug in the top right corner of the photo I attached in post #14 I believe I do see a brown wire. The point being, if there is not a brown wire in the plug that goes to the heat strip there is no need to connect the blue wire at the thermostat. If there is a brown wire then the blue wire would be connected on E terminal at the thermostat. Looking at the photo of the wiring designations in your post #20 it appears that W! (white) and W2 (brown) are wired together at the unit and E is not connected to anything. Is that correct?

The wiring diagrams for the 15KW and 20KW strips do show the brown wire in the plug. The attached photo you provided shows the original 9-pin plug (outlined in red) with a brown wire coming out of terminal #5. When connecting a heat strip the original plug is removed and replaced with the plug on the heat strip kit.

If you find that you do not need to connect the brown wire to the blue wire connected to the E terminal on the thermostat you will need to put a jumper wire between the Aux and E terminals on the thermostat. That will allow the heat strips to energize if you ever set the thermostat to emergency heat.

Attached Images  

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 12-24-14 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 12-24-14, 08:29 PM
T
Its wired as in pic with the thermostat e -blue wire to the brown w2(heat 3rd) new unit --its in the lower right corner of pic..
at honeywell thermostat wiring pic earlier it shows wire on far left side of wires where thermostat hooks in .What is the E function in the thermostat wiring?

.as to wiring hook ups i have-.common from thermostat brown to blue C on new unit ..all the rest are same color.

-- so if i have no brown wire to the connector of the 10kw heater then what do i do with the end of the blue off the thermostat -after disconnecting it from the brown wire? there in the unit..cap the wire?

regular heat works but not emergency
thanks for the info..i will definately be doing some checking on several things

Last edited by trotter; 12-24-14 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 09:12 PM
What is the E function in the thermostat wiring?
The E wire energizes the heat strip when you want to operate only in emergency heat mode. Emergency heat mode is used when your primary source of heat (heat pump) breaks down and will provide heat until you can get the heat pump repaired. It uses the same heat strip as the auxiliary heat uses.

so if i have no brown wire to the connector of the 10kw heater then what do i do with the end of the blue off the thermostat -after disconnecting it from the brown wire? there in the unit..cap the wire?
You can put a small wire nut on the end of the wire or tape the end of it.

regular heat works but not emergency
If you don't have the brown wire in the 9-pin plug that goes to the heat strip that would explain why the heat strip is not energized. However, if you set the thermostat two or more degrees above set temperature the electric strip should energize the strip to serve as auxiliary heat. The heat strip should also energize to temper the air when the heat pump goes into defrost mode.

As stated earlier, if you jumper the Aux and E terminals at the thermostat, the heat strip will energize for emergency mode when thermostat is set for that function.

Old 12-25-14, 12:41 PM
Haven't seen in the posts that you have tried jumping out R,G,W1or W2 at the stat,and what the result was,worry about getting aux heat working first. Do you have a wiring Dia, of the heat section?do you hear any relays clicking at anytime?
Geo

Old 12-26-14, 07:45 AM
T
so if i dont have a use for the brown wire it will look something like this for the 10k emergency heat wiring -
Both with the jumper AND connected at unit for blue..emergency heat wire?

Attached Images  
Old 12-26-14, 07:51 AM
Yes, that will work as drawn. However, the blue wire that was attached to the E terminal will have no function at that point. Tape off the blue wire at the thermostat. With the jumper between Aux and E at the thermostat the heat strip will energize when the thermostat is set to emergency heat.

Old 12-27-14, 01:36 PM
T
I hooked it up as said.no go..
Got question,what type secondary power is required for E heat.
I have only the 2 hots off the pair of double 60s on fuses

Old 12-27-14, 01:53 PM
Have you tested the four fuses to see if they are good? The data plate on he air handler and the heat strip kit will specify what size breaker is required. Air handlers and heat strips require 240V.
Post #21 showed a detailed diagram where to test for incoming voltage for the heat strip kit. There should be 240V across L1 and L2.

Old 12-27-14, 03:17 PM
T
Isn't there supposed to be a seperate lead for the 10keheat running from breakers ..I have 2 fuses on one side in pullout type and 2 beside it..4 of the 60 amps .but only 2 wire feed at hookup ,looks like #8 wire..is that not standard for it without eheat 10k..when u add 10k heat does it need a seperate power ?.
I'm not sure I had it on last unit or not

Old 12-27-14, 03:33 PM
A package unit requires a 240V feed for the compressor, condenser fan motor, blower and etc. The
heat strips require a separate feed for the heat strips. The required size breaker should be shown on the data plate on the unit.

Old 12-27-14, 03:35 PM
T
Yes fuses were tested ..
An even set both dipswitches to on for 1 and 2 ..

Old 12-27-14, 06:10 PM
Is your heat strip the model with the included circuit breaker? To further help you, the resident electrical experts will need you to post a clear in-focus photo of the data plate that shows what electrical service is required. It will be located on the outside of the cabinet and will have the model number listed on it. Also, post the model number of the heat strip. Photos of the heat strip and wiring will be helpful also.

Old 12-28-14, 09:22 AM
T
I think I figured it out..there is no wires to the 2 lug connectors as I asked on..looks like it takes a big wire .seems it needs those 2 to power up as I though
t.ill try to send pic

Old 12-28-14, 09:42 AM
Are you getting the contractors to pull in when you set the Tstat to E or aux?
Geo

Old 12-28-14, 08:25 PM
T
here are the pics and that does look like the reason it isnt powering up..if this is what i need what type run will i need to set up and can i tie in from the 2 sets of double 60s

Attached Images