Heat Pump icing up again

Old 12-27-14, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump icing up again

I posted last week about my Rheem ( PQL-JEZ model series, 15 seeer) heat pump icing up. The tech came out and replaced the main control board and the sensor. He also check the Freon levels which were good. Things seemed fine for a few days although the temps were on the warm side not really below freezing even at night. Today I noticed that the unit was iced up again in the same way as before. Light ice around the top of the case and also a few inches from the top of the coil. The temp got down to 28 F overnight, not really cold.

I am wondering what else could be causing this? I will call them back out on Monday but donít want to get into a costly trial and error process which already seems to have begun. This unit is pretty new as the parts were under warranty, but paid labor .Any insights would be appreciated.

Attached a pic of the unit from this morning.
Name:  heat pump.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  44.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-14, 12:07 PM
S
Oh, your talking about the ice on top? That's not a defrost problem. Take a look through vents on the side's and see if there is ice on the coil.

Old 12-27-14, 01:06 PM
It is the ice on top and the ice on the coil about 2-3 inches down from the top. I saw the ice on the coil this morning by looking not through the side vents but just down past the fan when the fan was not running.

Right now all the ice is gone since it is 6o degrees. This is the same condition that prompted me to call the tech in the first place. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it looks tomorrow am.

thanks for the reply

Old 12-28-14, 08:57 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Idle speculation:
If you observe the melting of the ice from the beginning to the end of a defrost cycle, does the ice melt from the bottom first and gradually move to the top coils ? If so, then maybe the defrost cycle is terminating prematurely so that the top coils never get cleared of ice .
Perhaps there is a setting / jumper that establishes defrost duration which could be set to extend it to ensure complete clearing of ice ...

Old 12-28-14, 02:25 PM
No icing today, temps again in the high 50's. The tech said when he was here that the unit was not going into the defrost cycle. He pushed a button and that sent it into defrost but it would not come back out. This is when he decided to put in the new board and sensor. The icing I saw yesterday was exactly like what I saw before the tech came out.

Will be calling them back tomorrow, thanks for the reply