Thermostat / Heat Pump Issues

Old 12-29-14, 07:02 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat / Heat Pump Issues

Hi all,

I'd appreciate any help provided.

We just moved into our first home about 4 months ago and have 2 heat pumps, Goodman. One is for the second floor and one is for the first floor. The first floor is paired with a Goodman propane furnace. I've had 2 instances where the thermostat had issues with temperature readings.

The first floor heat pump stopped working due to a bad capacitor, which was replaced about a month ago. For about a day or so after the replacement, the room temperature was off (about 5-8 degrees) but the thermostat was stopping and restarting the pump without issues. The issue went away after the second day.

This weekend, the heat pumps coils were cleaned and after bringing the pumps back online, the thermostat issue has resurfaced with the first floor pump - with a new twist. The temperature reading is off and the pump never stops running. The heat pump will turn on and off if I manually change the thermostat temperature setting, however, after being set the temperature reading will not exceed the set temperature even though the temperature is higher. The heat pump will never turn off either. I woke up this morning drenched in sweat and the thermostat was reading 70F (both room and set temperature). Temperatures have been decently high, ranging between 45 to 55 F, not that cold - I'm guessing the heat pump should not have an issue reaching higher temperatures.

I looked at the heat pump and the only thing that I noticed was 2 small spots with a bit of frost (perhaps I didn't notice before) even though it was 53F outside. I also think the compressor sounds a bit different after the coils were cleaned, the sound used to be constant while now it has up and down pitches - not as hard as a defrost cycle.

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-14, 07:39 AM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
What model are the thermostats?
Geo

Old 12-29-14, 07:44 AM
D
The thermostats are Honeywell TH6220.

Danny

Old 12-29-14, 09:28 AM
Here is a link to your thermostat and how to set it etc.is this something that just started happening?
Geo

Old 12-29-14, 10:02 AM
D
Yes,

The pump coils were cleaned on Saturday and it started happening after we brought them online. Since moving in, the thermostat always shut off the system upon reaching the set temperature - it doesn't do that anymore. The room temperature will keep increasing until it reaches the set temperature, and then it keeps it there.

There is a small change to my original post though, the thermostat did end up shutting off the pump after a few hours, but it started the auxiliary heat (the propane furnace). The room temperature still continues to read the same as the set temperature even with the aux system on. So it will either have the pump or the auxiliary system on, the room temperature reading never goes beyond the set temperature, and the system is continuously running.

One other item that may be important is that I reset the thermostat yesterday afternoon. I basically took removed it from the wall and removed the batteries for about 30 minutes to reset it to factory setting.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 12-29-14, 02:31 PM
Not sure why the Aux heat is coming on,with the outside temps you stated,are sure the heat pump is really running and not the Aux heat on all the time,you could check the compressor when it is running to see if the big line coming out of the compressor is HOT! When the stat is calling for heat.just curious why was the capacitor replaced?
Here is the link to the Tstat http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related...n%20Manual.pdf
Geo