Wiring for York Heat Pump, Furnace and Smart Thermostat

Old 12-30-14, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Wiring for York Heat Pump, Furnace and Smart Thermostat

I have a York Guardian Heat Pump, York Electric MV16 Furnace/Air Handler, and a new Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat. I believe the Heat Pump is a one-stage based on the wiring options (i.e. no Y2).

I am having a heck of a time getting the wiring correct. I have been able to get emergency heat (electric furnace only) working thankfully, but I can't seem to get the first stage of heat (heat pump). It is the Y, W, W1, W2, etc wires that I can't figure out.

Here are my connections, labeled exactly as they are on their boards... can someone help with how these should be connected? I've also included how I have it below. I am wondering if this mysterious "K" wire has anything to do with it too.

[HR][/HR]

Thermostat
R/Rc K C G O/B Y Y2 W2/Aux-E L

Furnace (Air Handler)
R C G O Y Y1 W1 W2 XL Hum

Heat Pump
R C O X/L Y W W1-66

I understand some wires just don't get connected but I put "?" as placeholders for formatting. I have the W1/W2 on the Air Handler jumpered at the moment because that's how its been since I moved in.

THRM FURN HEATPUMP
====================
C --- C --- C
K --- ?
R --- R --- R
O --- O --- O
G --- G
L --- XL --- X/L
Y --- Y --- Y
? --- Y1 --- ?
W2/AUX-E --- W1 --- W (W1 jumpered to W2)
? ---------- W2 --- W1-66

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-14, 12:35 PM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
What model thermostat? What was the old Tstat? Has this ever worked?
Geo

Old 01-01-15, 04:31 AM
M
I have the same setup, my heat & cool works and when the temp is more than 2 degrees difference, the aux heat turns on, but I don't have a wire in the "L" position. My problem is where does the brown defrost wire go? I am told the " K" connection is for future use and should not be used, the "Y1" connection is used if you don't have a heat pump and "L" connection is for System monitor. What color wire do you have at the "L" position?

Old 01-02-15, 05:55 PM
Yea, it seemed to work previously with a TH6220D1028 (which had separate E and Aux wires) but I don't think it was wired correctly either. The new thermostat is a RTH9580.

I am not sure what the defrost wire is, I think its that W1-66 honestly but not sure. See my diagram, I have L connected to X/L on the Heat Pump, which yes, I have read is a monitoring wire. It's purple, but I don't like to talk colors because those could be different for different people so just talk Letters.

Another poster on a different thread seemed to post a diagram which appears like it could be a configuration I should try.

YorkGuardVheatpump.jpg Photo by Houston204 | Photobucket

Old 01-03-15, 11:21 PM
So I found an Installation Manual for a York Outdoor Heat Pump and it appears to be for my heat pump exactly. The manual explains how the W1-66 signals back to the AH.

http://www.upgnet.com/Site/Informati...uim-a-0410.pdf

So now my setup is:

THRM FURN HEATPUMP
====================
C ---------- C --- C
R ---------- R --- R
O ---------- O --- O
G ---------- G
L ---------- XL --- X/L
Y ---------- Y ---- Y
W2/AUX-E --- W2 --- W
__ _ _ _ _ _ W1 --- W1-66

I am still having a problem with my "Y" but I'll put that on a different thread.