Electric or heat pump?

Old 12-31-14, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric or heat pump?

Framing a 16x34 2 story attached garage with 2 bedrooms over top in New York State. Currently 25 cold degrees outside.
I'm looking at heating/cooling options.
My current HVAC forced hot air propane powered system won't reach to the new addition.
This seems to be the cheapest...I can install electric baseboard heat to both bedrooms and put a small electric heater in the garage to use when needed with a/c window units in the bedrooms for summer.
I've seen radiators that install on the wall.
If there was a small enough boiler that is the sizeof an on demand hotwater tank
I could install that in the garage and run a propane line to it.

I'm looking for recommendations. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-14, 02:02 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
How cold does it get in the winters? I would think you're a little far north for heat pump territory.

Old 01-01-15, 05:25 AM
So a heat pump is not a good alternative for my application. I'm looking for another idea. Anybody?

Old 01-01-15, 08:26 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Unless you are in the NY snow belt, a properly installed heat pump system might work just fine ... I'd check out the ductless split systems that might be just the ticket for the building you describe.

Old 01-01-15, 09:55 AM
Excellent thanks for the info. I have seen those types of systems in print. They use a heat pump.
I live in upstate NY, so I'm not sure heat pumps work in this environment. If the 2 rooms are insulated well enough would that be enough for a split ductless system to work?
I read where those systems cost less than baseboard electric heat. That is a plus.

Old 01-01-15, 10:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
The problem with ductless systems is when people close doors between rooms there is no way for air to circulate. If these rooms are going to be full time, year round, bedrooms I'd think about a small gas furnace in the garage onto which you could add A/C. The next best, in my opinion, would be electric baseboard & small window A/C units.

Old 01-01-15, 01:34 PM
Is there a small wall mounted propane powered furnace? Something like the size of an on demand unit?
What about electric radiant heat running along the wood floor, and window a/c units for cooling?

Old 01-01-15, 02:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only electric radiant I'm familiar with is that which is embedded in dry wall. I don't know if they are still available or not but there used to be small, direct vent propane heaters. You would need to know how much heat you would need for the room in order to get the correct size heater.

Old 01-01-15, 04:09 PM
I just found a Radiant Floor Warming Mat at Home Depot. It can be custom ordered. It can be installed in tile or under carpet but needs to be in thinset. Cost was around $1800. per room just to buy it.
Wow. I have 2 rooms. I"m going to get calculations on energy cost.

Old 01-01-15, 04:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Electric baseboard is WAY cheaper & the efficiency is the same. The only advantage to the mat would be warmer floors.