heat strips staying on after thermostat turns off

Old 01-02-15, 02:09 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
heat strips staying on after thermostat turns off

If I run my heat after the thermostat shuts off the blower continues to run with warm air coming out of the vent. It will continue until I turn off the breaker. If I wait and turn the breaker back on the fan will start and I get warm air out of the vent. The only way it get it to stop is to run it on cool. Then the system works fine.

Last edited by John Shea; 01-02-15 at 02:55 AM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-15, 02:19 AM
J
I changed the thermostat and still having the same problem

Old 01-02-15, 02:33 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I am going to assume that Americanized English is a second language to you as reading your original post is difficult at best.

You need to give us more information including the manufacturer and model number of your heat pump air handler (I am assuming it is a heat pump based upon your mentioning heat strips) as well as the thermostat. The number of interconnecting wires from the thermostat to the air handler as well as the terminations and the manufacturer and model of the thermostat.

I suspect that you may have a "stuck" heat sequencer but without a manufacturer and model number no one could possibly give a cogent answer. It could also be a loose wire or worn insulation on a pair of wires in the thermostat cable.

Old 01-02-15, 02:52 AM
J
Sorry, I did not proof read the post and I have been up all night. It is difficult to understand.

It is a Carrier heat pump, modle# FK4CNF005. I am hoping it is just the sequencer.

Thank you for the help!

Old 01-02-15, 09:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I would see if the problem persists if you disconnect the W wire at the air handler. This is usually a wire not connection between a thermostat white wire and the air handler white wire.

If the problem stops you have a short, if the problem persists you probably need a sequencer.

Old 01-03-15, 08:00 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That's a bit snarky, Furd. Who among us is not guilty of an occasional solecism?
I found the original post easy to comprehend; a few missing commas are not difficult to insert - as with your post.
And since when is this site for native American English speakers only ?