Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Heat Pumps and Electric Home Heating
Reload this Page >

Trane XL16i keeps blowing 5amp fuse in inside unit only when around freezing out

Trane XL16i keeps blowing 5amp fuse in inside unit only when around freezing out

Old 01-05-15, 07:23 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Trane XL16i keeps blowing 5amp fuse in inside unit only when around freezing out

Hi. We have a 5 year old Trane 5-ton heat pump system with an XL16i compressor outside. It has two stage heat and additional emergency heat. Live in south Texas

5 amp fuses blow only when the temperature outside gets around freezing so it is hard to troubleshoot the problem since the temperature here in south Texas moves around so much

It will work fine and heat the houses great when outside temp is above 40 degrees. But, when it dips down the 5amp in the attic blows. I have replaced the defrost board but it is still blowing fuses. I can run in emergency heat but this problem is driving me crazy. Any ideas?

Have a Honeywell thermostat (Honeywell TH8320U1008 7day 3/h 2/c)

Thanks for looking and for any advice!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-15, 07:51 AM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
Is this a new Tstat install,how long has this problem existed?
Geo

Old 01-05-15, 07:55 AM
D
No, same tstat for years. I tried another tstat and it did the same thing.

last year when it got cold this happened once. repair man fixed it but I don't know what he did since it happened only that one time about a year ago. Now, it is constant. I have been through 6-7 fuses

Old 01-05-15, 08:14 AM
You more than likely have a low voltage wire in the condenser that has the insulation rubbed off and is making contact with the cabinet or a refrigerant pipe.

Here is a thread posted by another member with a similar low voltage issue that was resolved yesterday:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/he...-terminal.html

If you follow the steps he employed you will more than likely find the issue causing the fuse to blow. Here is a link to the service facts for an XL16i:

http://www.bayareaservice.com/wp-con...vice-Facts.pdf

If you review the wiring diagram on page 2 it shows the CBS (yellow wires) and ODS (black wires) that connect to the defrost control board. Since your issue occurs at a temperature below 40 degrees I would first concentrate on those two wiring circuits. You can follow the black and yellow wires to the CBS (coil bottom sensor) and ODS (outdoor temperature sensor) to see if there are any bare spots on the wires that are shorting out.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 01-05-15 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-05-15, 08:46 AM
D
Thanks!! I will take a look and report back.

Thanks again!