Heat Strip Question

Old 01-09-15, 06:40 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat Strip Question

8 KW heat strip for Heil air handlers (click for models) WKF0802

I have a carrier unit and I have this heat strip in the link above.

My aux-emergency heat hasn't been working it just blows cold so I checked it all out. Everything checked out good but when I pulled the heat strip, I noticed the one side had a wire that ran across and the other side didnt. I found a wire similar laying where the heat strip was, it was soft, like it got really hot and burned off. I then put the wire on so it touched on both sides and fired up the emergency heat to kick on the heat strip, it immediately kicked on. I turned it all off. My picture below shows the wire I am talking about.

Name:  pic.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  8.1 KB

MY question is can I order just the coil part by itself? They seem to be only held in place by a few screws? Can you just replace the wire? What kind and how could I do that? Should I just order the whole part? Do they tend to get hot and burn up or should I be checking some other parts for potential problem?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-15, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 853 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not following what you need. Usually the heat strips are replaced as a unit if it's something to do with the element. Perhaps a closer, larger picture.

Old 01-09-15, 09:02 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can't find a better picture. I tried to circle the part I am talking about, there was just a "C" shaped wire that ran across from one point to the next.

It's at the base of each coil. The one side has it and the other doesn't. The one that doesn't is the first coil to heat up so the heat strips never get hot because that wire burnt off.

I put it back on outside the unit to test it and as soon as i flipped the breaker it kicked on and the heat strip started working.

I didn't know if there would be a particular reason the wire got burnt up and fell off or if it just happens. I also wasn't sure if I could just replace the coil, wire or just buy the whole unit.

Thanks

Old 01-09-15, 09:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 526 Votes on 483 Posts
Was the unit run with a very dirty filter or were a lot of the registers closed? I'm guessing the wire your seeing is the remains of the fusible link that burned out and killed the heat strips for safety.