Heat pump cycling too much?

Old 01-11-15, 10:34 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump cycling too much?

This is our first winter in our house and the heat pump is cycling very rapidly. (see video) it does this constantly over an hour at a time

Heat pump cycling: http://youtu.be/MnFiRNrnfGI

House is 6 yrs old with original hp and furnace. Hp is carrier 25hbb Furnace is carrier fx4cnf. It's under home warranty but the hvac guy is trying to replace the air handler after installing a new blower motor. Starting to question his competence.

It's about 30-40 degrees outside Tstat is on first floor and set for 75. Usually runs w Aux while on heat and auto never falls below 70 Indoor furnace is electric and in attic above 2nd floor. It's warm on the 2nd floor but cold on the first. Some vent closing and reversing the ceiling fan has helped a little on the first floor

What's wrong with it? Should I turn it off and use em heat until the hvac comes back. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-15, 11:25 AM
Should I turn it off and use em heat until the hvac comes back.
Yes, definitely turn it off as soon as possible. It sounds like it is cycling on a pressure switch. Cycling on/off like that can be detrimental to your compressor. You can switch to emergency heat until the hvac company checks it out. Make sure your air filter is clean.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 01-11-15 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 12:05 PM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
What is the reason to replace the AH?is that covered completely under the warranty?
Geo

Old 01-11-15, 01:33 PM
P
That's what I'm trying to understand as its 400 bucks after warranty. He said to get new air handler drier and electric straps. Is it possible the the inside unit sending a bad signal to the hp? The em heat seems to be working so not sure why that is being replaced. The insulated line is hot from the hp, for what it's worth.

Hvac contractor has been terrible with communication and home warranty company says they have to do the work.

Old 01-12-15, 05:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Is that ice on the 3/8 liquid line valve?

If it is the air handler may be leaking refrigerant, but my money is on a bb sized piece of solder on the piston metering device at the heat pump. If it runs fine in cool mode it will probably be the bb. If you see swedge connections instead of copper couplings it will probably be the bb.

Are they wanting to give you another Carrier air handler with the same type of blower motor for $400 or some mismatched air handler?

Old 01-12-15, 05:21 PM
P
Thanks for the reply.

It does seem to run fine in cool mode. Although the indoor fan cycling on off when running cool mode is what started this work order. He put a new fan in (unclear what he installed cause he never sent a work order) that seemed to address that problem. Then a week later when we used heat for first time is when this hp cycling issue came up.

I didn't notice any ice but there was liquid that started dripping from one of the metal pipes in the hp after I killed the power to it... No liquid dripping while it was running though.

He detected a small trace of coolant in the attic near the furnace unit and said there is a small leak somewhere but made it seem like it wasn't significant amount that would be causing problems. We had our coolant recharged earlier in the summer by another company as part of a tune up/inspection deal and they didn't find any concerns which makes me skeptical that our contractor is trying to milk the home warranty.

Here's the replacement parts he ordered. They appear to be supplied by carrier but have different brand names?

Supplier Name
CARRIER CORPORATION

Air Handler Payne PF4MNA042000
Heat Strips Bryant KFCEH0901N10
Drier Bryant P504-8163s

Additionally there are modifications to plenum and drain line which aren't covered by my warranty.

Old 01-12-15, 07:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
It looks like it is starting to freeze at the metering device in the video. A refrigerant leak could cause this...

Name:  Carrier heat pump frost.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  51.7 KB