UV air treatment systems any good?

Old 01-15-15, 05:03 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
UV air treatment systems any good?

Just replaced a whole heat pump system and the old one had a Honeywell UV100A 2008 UV light. The installer said they don't do much but he could have just been too lazy to put it back on the new system. Are these things still any good to have?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-15, 05:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 526 Votes on 483 Posts
"...still any good to have?" Has their usefulness or efficacy changed?

UV sterilization has been sold and promoted in some cases to snake oil levels. In order to work you need a certain amount of radiation over a period of time. If the UV unit is under sized or the airflow is too fast you don't get the full/much/any benefit. Add to it that the bulbs have a limited life and need to be replaced regularly, something that most never do and you have to seriously question if the system provided any benefit in the first place.

Old 01-16-15, 08:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I have seen UV lights provide an incredible improvement in evaporator coils and plenums.

I was initially very skeptical because of negative reviews on the internet but after witnessing the improvement that they can provide to the discharge side of the evaporator coil and plenum I installed one on my house.