Goodman outside thermostat question

Old 01-17-15, 03:24 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman outside thermostat question

I have a similar system/setup as this thread (too old to reply to) and a similar question.

I have a Goodman CPLJ30-1B Heat Pump with a Goodman ARUF,ARPF,ARPT,AEPT Air Handler (from the manual) with heat strips, and a White-Rodgers 1F82-261 thermostat.

From the way I understand how everything is currently wired, the heat pump and electric elements do not come on at the same time. Elements come on by switching the thermostat to emergency heat.

My current situation is that I use a pellet stove during the winter mostly when the temperature is below freezing. On days where the temperature is forecasted to be above freezing, I use either the heat pump or electric heating elements. I bought the OT18-60A stat so it will control which one comes on.
What I want to happen is leave the inside thermostat set to HEAT, and have the OS18 set to turn on the heat pump if over 30 degrees, or have it switch to the electric elements if below 30 degrees.
However, to me some of the instructions from the various manuals that came with each component contradict themselves.
Can someone tell me which wires need hooked up to the OS18-60A?

Heat pump wiring diagram
Here is how the thermostat is wired, there are 2 bundles of wire coming into it.
Thermostat wiring to heat pump
The Air Handler had Diagram 12 as the way the system was setup
Air Handler Diagram 12 to me would be W2(blue) from thermostat to W2(white) at the Pump.
The OT18-60 diagram 12 instructions
Thermostat Wiring Options from manual
The OT18-60A pinout diagram

What I need to know, from the OT18-60A pinout diagram (the bottom terminal view)
which wires go on terminals 1, 2, and 3?

I understand regular household AC wiring, but this is information overload

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-15, 09:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Stat Y connects to terminal 2.
Terminal 1 connects to heat pump and stat W2.
Terminal 3 connects to heat pump Y.

So the ODT interrupts Y to the heat pump (wires in series) but connects parallel to W2.

Name:  ODT stat.jpg
Views: 15590
Size:  51.0 KB

Old 01-19-15, 05:13 PM
K
Thanks, that clears that up. I had two different ways to wire in two different books.
One more question,since the installer was kind enough to not use colored wires that match the color on the thermostat, both my W2 and Y wires are blue.
Thermostat Wiring to Heat Pump
The way I read the wiring diagram of the heat pump, the yellow wire is for the Compressor Contactor. I'm going to assume the 1st bundle of wires from the thermostat (where red and white are not used, pictured on the left) is the "Y" ?
The other bundle of wires all seem to go the the defrost board, except the blue wire which seemed to trace back to the contacts when I quickly looked at the wiring the other day. So I assume the blue wire in the 2nd bundle from the thermostat is W2.

Old 01-19-15, 06:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Not sure that I saw a picture of your wire connections at the heat pump.

You shouldn't have to assume which wire is Y. Post a picture instead of a drawing if you are unsure which wire is Y.

Old 01-20-15, 05:41 PM
K
The yellow wire from the heat pump that has a blue and green wire from the tstat goes into the fan area. The only two blue wires at the tstat are connected to W2 and Y
Yellow Wire image

The other blue wire from the tstat hooks up to a blue wire that goes to the contacts.
The W2 wire from the defrost board (which is the other wire I believe I need to tie into) goes to a white wire from the tstat. The only white wire hooked up to the tstat is wired to G which my manual says is fan relay (but can be jumpered to aux relay)
White wire picture
here is how the thermostat is wired again
TSTAT wiring

Too many colors and none of them are right
Thanks for helping me through this.