Thermostat wiring issue?

Old 01-25-15, 07:19 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat wiring issue?

3-4 weeks ago I started to notice that air coming out of the vents wasn't warm as it should...

And for warm air to start blowing (say i wanted home temp to be 70) i had to increase the thermostat setting by 3-4 degrees higher just so warm air would start blowing and ONLY when the AUX light come on....

Asked an AC guy online and he said could be this or that but we didn't get anywhere...I asked a friend he said it could be the thermostat as it's not responding to the right temperatures....

I bought one and installed the wires as indicated with necessary modifications/cancellations. We also used an electric heater we purchased wince the house was so cold during the days of the old thermostat...

I know those use a lot of electricity...Oh another thing is that the old thermostat wouldn't shut the compressor/blower, they kept running, and am guessing that is why i wanted to change the thermostat...

anyways, after changing the thermostat i get the power bill yesterday and it's 100% more than any month, $640 , never happened, so i thought maybe due to the fan working all day for God knows how many days that happened...and maybe the electric heater we purchased....

so been watching my KiloW usage daily now, turned off everything except the fridge, and removed all plugs from all outlets....so my average daily has been over $20 or around that much which is crazy, and that is based on multiplying the KiloW used and multiplying it by $0.11 or so...

.and it isn't the price, it's the outrageous amount of kILOw the meter has been registering on daily basis.....Not sure if i wired something wrong at the thermostat such as the E and AUX, or the hot and cold so both heat and cool come on together or if the Emergency is running all the time...

the new thermostat works for heat pumps but doesn't have the AUX or E lights like the old one did....I turned the thermostat off for now to watch the meter reading for a day...or is it possible the AC unit is low on freon, but can cause double the usage?

I doubt...Any help is appreciated,,,Any help is appreciated...I am aware I may need to call one of the HVAC guys to come in but wanted to get an idea before I do that...by the way I have W2 wire and the black wire connected together, also taped off the blue wire and eliminated it as instructions said...

Last edited by Naser Naser; 01-25-15 at 07:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-15, 09:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Post the make and model number of your new thermostat so that we can find out if it supports your multistage heat pump. (probably doesn't)

The initial problem probably wasn't the stat.
Did the outdoor unit run with the initial thermostat when it was given a heating demand?

Was the large copper pipe to the outdoor unit hot while trying to heat the home when you had the initial thermostat installed?

The initial problem may have only been a burned wire or a bad capacitor.

Any thermostat used on a heat pump should have an emergency heat mode.
The heat pump may fail one day and emergency heat may be required.

Old 01-25-15, 09:48 AM
N
Thanks. Honeywell RTH6350.
Yes the unit was running when it was given a heat command but the air was flat, not warm, unless I up the thermostat temp by few degrees where the AUX light comes on. The copper line wasn't hot, also flat..Well, when i went to purchase it this was the only one that said would work with heat pumps and with older thermostats that had AUX....I don't have the emergency switch anymore, not on the new one..

Old 01-25-15, 10:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
That stat will support multistage heat pumps.

https://customer.honeywell.com/resou.../69-2416ES.pdf
Is function 1 set to 5?

Old 01-25-15, 10:28 AM
N
It was set to 1, i just changed to 5 hopefully that will make a difference

Old 01-25-15, 12:05 PM
N
so if it was running on function 1, what would it mean compared to running on 5?

Old 01-25-15, 12:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 924 Votes on 863 Posts
1 - Heat pump: Outside compressor provides both heating and cooling without backup or auxiliary heat.

5 - Heat Pump: Outside compressor provides both heating and cooling with backup or auxiliary heating.

If you had it set to 1.... the electric reheats would not be activated.

Old 01-25-15, 12:28 PM
N
Per your statement above "the electric reheats would not be activated" means what exactly? Would that be a cause of a bill running high? I been watching my day to day power usage online and it is not that cold, and it has been around $20/day which is nuts compared to what I have been paying....so i turned the ac unit off and the power reading makes sense now, i changed the setting to 5 and watching the kILOw usage per hour to see if it makes a difference. Thanks guys.

Old 01-25-15, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 924 Votes on 863 Posts
i had to increase the thermostat setting by 3-4 degrees higher just so warm air would start blowing and ONLY when the AUX light come on....
When you did that..... the thermostat is sensing that since the temperature differential has become so large that the heat pump cannot keep up and turns on the electric coils to supplement the heat.

You didn't fill in your location in your bio so we have no idea where you are posting from but with the amount of extended cold that a lot of areas are experiencing.... it is not uncommon for the heat pump to run around the clock. With a heat pump..... it's slow and steady wins the race. Which is another good reason not to use a setback thermostat when using a heat pump in heat mode.