Heat pump auxiliary heater not working

Old 01-25-15, 01:16 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump auxiliary heater not working

Hi,
I live in Pennsylvania, just got a new home and we have had about 20-30 degrees for many days in a row now.
The heat pump struggles to keep the house warm (stat is usually set to about 66 degrees). At night the heat pump runs almost non-stop. Is that normal?
My understanding is that heat pumps are not very efficient below 50 degrees, and the auxiliary heater is supposed to turn on automatically to assist the heat pump. In that case, I should see the auxiliary heater sign turned on on the stat, right?
My concern is that the "Aux Ht" sign on the stat is never on.
When I switch the stat to Emergency Heating I get some heat though, so it's not broken.
I have the feeling that for some reason the auxiliary heater is never activated and that's why the heat pump runs non-stop. What do you think? If not, any advice to fix this? Is there a way to check on the heater itself if the auxiliary heater is running (in case the stat is just showing me wrong information)?

Here is the model information:
Heater: Trane TWE040E13FB0
Auxiliary heater: Warren WTG1532B
Thermostat: Trane TAYSTAT 540

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-15, 12:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I would remove the stat and verify that W2 has a wire on it.
(W2 is also labeled X2 or Aux on some thermostats)

Old 01-26-15, 12:50 PM
Y
Thank you very much for your reply.
I just checked, there is a wire on X2.
See the two pictures attached. The first one from the stat, and the other one from the heater.
Name:  20150126_153750.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  27.8 KB
Name:  20150125_102511.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  44.9 KB
The black wire from the stat looks wired to W1-W2-W3. W1,W2 and W3 are all wired together.

Thank you for your help.

Old 01-26-15, 01:06 PM
Y
I don't know if it's related in any way, but I've noticed some behaviors with my stat that I don't quite understand.
I've observed 2 or 3 times over the past 3 weeks that the air and heat pump would keep running and running when the stat shows 68 degrees while I had set it to 66 degrees. Most of the times it does stop as configured, but it seems that once in a while it doesn't...
First it struggles to reach 66... then once in a while it goes beyond and doesn't seem to want to stop :-)