Trane Weathertron Heat Pump XE 800 question

Old 01-28-15, 05:05 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Trane Weathertron Heat Pump XE 800 question

I have had a Trane Weathertron Heat Pump XE 800 since 1990. The heat pump is upstairs. The blower blows constantly long after the blue heat light goes out. The air becomes cold. Sometimes the blower shut off but not always. I find myself always turning the heat up. About four years ago I had it serviced and was told I had a refrigerant leak for the AC the refrigerant was topped off at that time. Could it be related? Just now the blower came back on but it is blowing cool air. It usually blows for an hour or so. We closed the vents in one room because the air was so cool. Then the blue light comes and the heat is somewhat hot and hat blows for about 20 minutes then light goes out and cool air blows for another hour. I haven't noticed this years before. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-15, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 932 Votes on 869 Posts
It sounds like the outside condensor is not operating and that the electric coils are doing all the work. When the thermostat calls for heat.... see if the outside unit is running. If it isn't then you could possibly have a refrigerant charge issue.

Old 01-28-15, 08:17 PM
M
Thanks Pete. So when the blue light comes on, I should go out and see if the fan is running outside? If it is, then my condenser is not operating?

Old 01-28-15, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 932 Votes on 869 Posts
I'm not sure about the blue light but when the thermostat calls for heat..... raise it one degree.... and the outside unit should start.

Old 01-28-15, 09:14 PM
M
I went outside and heard the compressor buzzing but no air was blowing from the outside unit. The heat is blowing inside the house, however. The blue light is called the Auxillary heat light, which is on with heat blowing from the air handler.