Goodman Control Board Questions

Old 02-06-15, 02:11 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Goodman Control Board Questions

I'm trying to figure out how to increase the fan speed in the heating mode on my Goodman aruf036-00a-1a air handler. I tried switching the black wire (high speed?) connected to the "M1" terminal with the one connected to the "COM" terminal on the relay, but that didn't seem to have any affect. The air blows much harder when in cooling mode, so I'm trying to make it blow harder in heating mode. I don't understand how it even changes speed from cooling to heating since it doesn't appear to be a variable speed fan.

Name:  GoodmanControlBoard.jpg
Views: 2897
Size:  29.1 KB

Attached Images  

Last edited by mossman; 02-06-15 at 02:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-15, 02:40 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red is low speed, Blue is medium and black is high. Sounds like you are doing it right. Be sure and park the red on M1 or M2. The speed up terminal is to change the delay on fan.

Last edited by skaggsje; 02-06-15 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-06-15, 02:54 PM
M
Red is low speed, Blue is medium and black is high. Sounds like you are doing it right. Be sure and park the red on M1 or M2. The speed up terminal is to change the delay on fan.
Thanks. There is no M2, just M1. If I understand correctly, the Speed Up terminal is for bypassing the delay so you don't have to wait for the fan to turn off when working on the unit. Do you apply ground to this terminal? 28Vac?

So how is the fan speed automatically changing from cooling mode to heating mode if the speed has to be changed with jumpers? It blows really hard when cooling and barely at all when heating, or am I just perceiving it this way because cooler denser air is easier to push?

Old 02-06-15, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 923 Votes on 862 Posts
It blows really hard when cooling and barely at all when heating
That is fairly normal. Usually the high speed is automatically used for the A/C and the speed used for heat is determined by heat rise thru the furnace.

If the air moves too fast thru the furnace it won't heat properly and if not enough air moves thru the furnace... it can overheat.

Old 02-06-15, 06:43 PM
M
So are you saying the air handler fan board automatically slows the air down during heat mode and that by me switching the black motor wire to the COM terminal sets the maximum speed?

Old 02-06-15, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 923 Votes on 862 Posts
That is a heat pump.... correct ?

I'm looking at the schematic. It shows M1 and M2 on that board along with a three speed blower motor installed in select units. However.... if I'm reading the schematic correctly.... your air handler only operates the blower at one selected speed. The wire connected to the COM terminal is the speed of the blower in A/C and heat modes.

If you have one wire on COM, and one wire on the M1 park position, where is the third wire ?