Possible to Increase Evap Coil from 2.5 to 3 Ton?

Old 02-11-15, 09:06 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Possible to Increase Evap Coil from 2.5 to 3 Ton?

I asked this question in another post of mine, but the thread started out as something different and I think all of my questions made the thread a bit overwhelming so I'm starting a new thread.

Question is, can I increase the coil size of a Goodman ARUF303016CA air handler from a 2.5 ton to a 3.0 ton? Other than the blower width (8" for 3030 and 6" for 3636), which I could conceivably switch out if necessary (don't think it's necessary) all other electrical and mechanical specs are identical. If not, please explain in detail.

Last edited by mossman; 02-11-15 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-15, 02:34 PM
M
I contacted Goodman, and of course they were of no help. They won't provide homeowners with technical information. Such BS . Consumers have the right to know this type of information. It keeps companies honest. Otherwise, there is no way to verify if what someone is telling you is truthful. We're talking about a potential cost difference of a couple thousand dollars between replacing just the coil or getting a new air handler. It's not right. Guess I'll just stick with my undersized 2.5 ton system.

Old 02-11-15, 02:38 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why do you want to increase the A coil? Just curious.

Old 02-11-15, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
You will get little, if any, increased cooling if the outdoor unit is 2.5 ton.

Old 02-11-15, 07:09 PM
M
I believe the unit is undersized for the home. Maybe it isn't. I'll have to get a load calculation done. Regardless, I am curious if it is possible to increase the coil size if it turns out I do need a 3 ton unit. I will be replacing the heat pump this year (it is 12 years old).

Old 02-12-15, 12:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
At 12 years old, the existing coil is likely a good bit smaller in phyiscal size than a new three ton. I doubt it would fit. I would think a Goodman dealer or distributor could tell you even if Goodman will not. I'm sure you would have to increase the blower size as well & the throat size would probably be larger.

Sorry I can't give you an absolute yes or no answer but trying to help as best I can.