Lennox heat pump/furnace

Old 02-16-15, 09:21 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lennox heat pump/furnace

Hey everyone, two issues. one is my furnace uses a 20x20x1 as written on unit, filter. Prob is after a few weeks I noticed low air flow, ck the filter and its partially pulled up into the unit, I remove filter, good flow again. Buy a new filter and works for a few weeks, then same prob. I'm thinking I need a metal framed filter?

Second question is I noticed today, when taking filter out, a plug that was open on the side of my unit...I've never noticed before if it was plugged before, or open, if I put my hand over the hole with unit running there is some low suction going on, not much but some.

thanks for any help.

Ron..pics included.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-15, 11:10 AM
S
What kind of filter are you using? 1" pleated?

Old 02-16-15, 02:38 PM
R
yes, cardboard/paper, 1" pleated 20x20...Measuring it seems a 21x20 would fit, but I was thinking a metal framed one might stop the suction problem, dunno

Old 02-16-15, 02:49 PM
D
There is an arrow marking the airflow direction. Did you install the filter backwards?

Old 02-16-15, 03:56 PM
R
lol, no. My heatpump puts out some serious airflow, I have a 4ton unit. My main question wasn't really the filter as much as that open plug in the side of the basement unit.

Thanks all the same.

Old 02-16-15, 04:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Ron, welcome to the forums. The first thing I would suggest is to pitch that pleated filter & replace it with a good glass fiber one. Your duct system, particularly the return side, is probably way too small. This is extremely common.
That hole looks like a condensate drain & looks as if it is broken off. Short term you can put a piece of duct tape over it. Long term it needs to be repaired if it's an active condensate drain.
If it is an unused hole, the duct tape can stay there. If it is threaded, a 3/4" pipe plug will screw in.

Old 02-16-15, 04:19 PM
R
Thank you Grady. Will get that type of filter, I've seen metal framed and plastic framed as well, so was just wondering if that is over kill or not.

I do not think its an active drain but will double check to see if its threaded or not, thanks again.