Electric furnace blowing smoke

Old 02-16-15, 12:13 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric furnace blowing smoke

I've got a heat pump with an old GE electric furnace for backup (that doesn't kick on very often). I had all three thermal fuses go bad at some point (not sure if they all worked since we've moved in). Got a company to come out and replace those and haven't had any issues. Today we woke up to smoke in the house. The furnace was hot, but the fan had kicked off. The thermostat is set to have the fan blow for 60 sec after the call for heat ends. I changed that to 5 min after this morning. I started smelling burning again a few hours later, when I turned the fan to always on. I had a company come out and they think the HVAC should be controling the fan, not the thermostat. They ordered a sequencer that they thought might be the problem. As old as the furnace is, they didn't want to work on it until they had that replacement part. Does that make sense? I thought a relay might be stuck and so, even after the call for heat ended, the furnace stayed on. I'm concerned that they're not going to be working on it for a few days while they wait for the part to come in. Does this sound like I should be concerned about my family's safety?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-15, 02:02 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If something is burning or smells like it is, I wouldn't run the furnace.

Old 02-16-15, 02:19 PM
S
@Pulpo Nothing smells like it is burning anymore. That was just while the furnace was running and no air was circulating. At this point the furnace has been running all day without issue. I was hoping someone might've had a similar experience and identify what was wrong with their system (or verify that the sequencer that the service company ordered seemed like reasonable idea). When the tech came out, he opened up the furnace and verified that everything looked like it was fine to run as long as we kept the blower going constantly.

Old 02-16-15, 02:43 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If he said that it's okay to run, then I guess it's okay. Do you have a smoke alarm near the furnace & some fire extinguishers, in the house? They should be there anyway.

I can't comment on the sequencer. I've never had to install one. I don't know why the system would be safe to run as long as the blower was running. Does that mean that it's not safe if it isn't running? I'm lost on that theory.

Old 02-16-15, 04:50 PM
Received 56 Votes on 52 Posts
Is there a wiring dia. For that unit or a mdl#?
Geo

Old 02-16-15, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 909 Votes on 849 Posts
Can your heat pump keep the house warm enough to shut off the electric reheats ?

If not.....
If you keep the fan running then you shouldn't have a problem. It sounds like the sequencer is keeping one of the coils on without the fan. Usually when that happens and the coil gets to smoking hot.... it'll blow the safety stat. You might have the service company make sure the correct temperature safety stats were installed.