Best new system for continuous fan operation

Old 02-21-15, 09:45 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best new system for continuous fan operation

We're upgrading two 15 year old R-22 heat pump split systems (10 seer I believe) to something more efficient. I have quotes for 13 seer four and five ton systems. We are actually going to do 14 seer or better. Still looking at DIY, but need to decide on equipment before anything else. Do to allergies and asthma in the family, we are going to add UV treatment and electronic air cleaner. Due to the desire for air quality enhancements, we're looking at running the fans without heat or cooling sometimes. I'm assuming a DC fan would be most economic for above-average fan utilization. I think I've seen DC fans in some 14 seer units, and they seem to be the norm in 16 seer. I guess I'm concerned about complexity vs. the energy savings of higher seer systems, not to mention up front cost. I'd appreciate thoughts on the best approach to keep our indoor air turnover economical and reliable.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-15, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 924 Votes on 863 Posts
I only service..... no installs so I can't offer you much help on new equipment.

I don't recommend a DIY heatpump systems. Most manufacturers will not honor a warranty claim unless a certified dealer installed it.

I do recommend getting several estimates from reliable dealers so that you know what you are working with.

I don't recommend electronic air cleaners unless you are a stickler for service. They MUST be cleaned often for maximum efficiency.

Others will stop by an add more info.

Old 02-22-15, 07:07 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
If you have allergies I'd recommend a media filter over the electronic. I'd also skip the UV because they really don't do much in a residential hvac system

Old 02-23-15, 09:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
ftp://ftp.aprilaire.com/Fulfillment/...comparison.pdf

This is an interesting read...

We have installed the Trane clean effects and Infinity filters as well as thousands of the Honeywell. I am not familiar with the Aprilaire 5000.

I have seen scary coils look like a brand new coil with the installation of a UV light in the supply air plenum. I honestly believe that every house in the humid city of Houston should have a UV light in the supply air plenum.

It seems like your area should be less humid.

Old 02-23-15, 10:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 924 Votes on 863 Posts
I have an ElectroAir Universal slim twins electronic cleaner. Seems to work pretty good. Don't know how well it stacks up in that test.

It does work good but it gets dirty. I clean the two high voltage plates, one at a time, in my dishwasher about every two months.