Troubleshooting heat pump

Old 02-25-15, 07:18 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Troubleshooting heat pump

I have some issues with my rheem 2.5t heat pump. It was making some loud noises the other nite so I shut it off. Almost sounded like compressor was humming and hissing. I noticed that the fan wasnt running and there was a spot on the sheet metal where the capacitor had sparked.

The air handler will run fine and blow air thru out this entire time.

The next day I couldnt get the outside unit to turn on so I replaced the run capacitor. It still did not start up.

I didnt have a volt meter but I did check voltage with the live dead tester to the contactor. There is voltage coming from the feed and there is voltage to the capacitor, compressor, and fan motor.

There isnt a fuse in air handler its strait wired.

Then I checked out inside the contactor and noticed the plunger was stuck down. I killed all the power and breakers to the unit and air handler. The plunger released and was free.

I put everything back on and the unit kicked on perfectly. The unit was quiet and cooling normally with the fan running.
I checked the low suction pressure and it was at 71psi. I didnt have a temp stick to check superheat but I believe 71psi is Satisfactory.

The unit ran for about an hour and cooled 2 degrees and started making the noise again. I am worried so I keep shuting it off. I have a youtube link to play the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xKNeUVfkIo

Anyone know whats going on.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-15, 07:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Can't watch your video. It is marked private.

Old 02-25-15, 07:50 PM
Z
try now, i think is switched it

Old 02-26-15, 06:21 AM
T
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Sounds like its coming from the reversing valve. The contactor might be shot, leaving the compressor running after the call for cooling has ended.

Old 02-26-15, 06:54 AM
Z
I didnt change from heat to ac or vice versa for the reversing valve? The system was was at 72degree then cooled to 71 degree and started this problem...the stat was set at 70..so it should of needed more cooling? Maybe put my stat lower in the 60s and see if the prob happens again?

Old 02-26-15, 08:07 AM
Z
maybe but a multimeter test for 24v in contactor and ohm in compressor?

Old 02-26-15, 11:17 AM
Z
I guess it does sound like the reversing valve is slipping by? I guess I can check to make sure solenoid is getting 24v? and that it has strong magnetic feel...or maybe its stuck and can tap it a lil. Or actually take the temperature readings ?

Old 02-26-15, 01:56 PM
Z
nm found the prob I think. I put it on cool and it worked for about an hour and cooled 2 degrees then I saw the fan motor STOP...i must of not seen it at night everytime I heard the unit screaming!

Old 02-26-15, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 932 Votes on 869 Posts
Quite possibly the fan capacitor needs to be replaced too.

Old 02-26-15, 04:14 PM
Z
thanks, i did replace the dual run capacitor 35/5? Is that what you are refering to

Old 02-26-15, 04:45 PM
Z
looks like the motor takes a 3uf 370v capacitor. The cap installed is a 35/5 440v. I know u can go from 370 to 440v but can you go from 3uf to 5uf? Wont that make the motor run faster and hotter? Maybe thats y this motor burned up? Even tho it looks extremely old.