Radiant Floor Heating v. Forced Air

Old 05-18-15, 06:32 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Radiant Floor Heating v. Forced Air

Apologies in advance, I'm sure this has been done to death here already but my search-foo is weak.

Renovating a 1970's split level, starting in the three upstairs bedrooms because they are frosty/sweltering depending on the season. The forced air ducts don't deliver the heat to these rooms well, I suspect someone went cheap on the furnace and/or fan. Gutted the bedrooms and made some changes, including upgrading the wall insulation from R11 to R15, and replacing the 5 inches of blown-in with R39 batts. I think that will help a lot.

I want to go totally solar in about 2 years, and that would mean getting rid of the gas furnace. In support of that, I think I want to do electric radiant floor heating. I am getting ready to rewire and then hang the drywall, but before I do, it would make sense to run the wiring for the floor heat. So:

Does electric radiant floor hear, under (engineered, not solid) hardwood, effectively replace forced air? Internets say, "Yeah sure, go nuts!" but the hardwood sales guy balked and said "Nah, that's just fer makin' yer feet happy."

Anyone got personal experience with this? And bonus points for suggestions about a heat reflective surface to put between the wood subfloor and the heating pads.

Old 05-19-15, 01:01 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
another option would be to do ductless splits. you will get the heating and cooling plus use much less electricity.

Old 05-19-15, 01:29 PM
S
I would have to agree with hardwood sales guy.

Old 06-11-15, 02:59 PM
B
I have something like Verano climaconvectors - these are trench heaters with cooling option. Great solution also during summers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: