King Heater/electrical problem ???

Old 11-04-15, 08:43 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
King Heater/electrical problem ???

We remodeled our garage into a bedroom a few years back. Purchased and installed a King 220 volt installed in the wall heater. It worked fine for a short period of time, 1-2 months. (we don't use the heater in the bedroom very often)
Now the heater comes on when the thermostat is turned up, however it will shut off after say 6-8 minutes as if the room has reached the thermostat temp. (it has not) Typically it will not come on again until I turn the thermostat all the way down, and wait until the next day it will come back and repeat the process.

On a few occasions I was able to turn the thermostat down for let's say 20 minutes, then the heater would come back on and work well for at least 1-2 hours. It is not often that I am able to get it to work this way. Seems like it might be some sort of internal heat sensor or something to me, but really I have no idea. The breaker has never tripped so I'm thinking all the electrical is fine. The remodel was permitted and all electrical was inspected and approved.

Any thoughts would be welcomed and appreciated. Thanks

jeff

Old 11-05-15, 06:50 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
from a King wall heater manual:

"A safety limit control is provided to turn off the
heater automatically if it is blocked or otherwise
overheats due to an abnormal condition. DO NOT
bypass or remove this safety device from the electrical
circuit-see Warning Figure 3 on page 2. During
normal use, this safety control should not operate. If
you find that this control is operating, make sure the
heater is not being blocked. If it continues to cycle
the heater off, disconnect power to heater and have
it checked and repaired by a qualified electrician."

They show a wiring diagram in the install manual - which may be helpful depending on your electrical knowledge..

Old 11-05-15, 08:30 AM
J
so that is kind of on the lines I was thinking, but there are no obstructions etc. and nothing else different from when it was installed and it worked fine...again for a short time. Is it possible that having it installed on a 2X4 wall versus a 2X6 wall could effect the internal temp. causing this protective switch to shut it down. It has been a while since I installed this and or looked at it, but I want to say I looked up that a 2X4 wall installation was OK for this unit. Thanks again I appreciate the input.

Jeff

Old 11-05-15, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,421 Votes on 1,314 Posts
Have you confirmed that the fan is actually spinning. If not.... that will cause it to trip the overheat safety sensor.

Old 11-05-15, 04:31 PM
J
yes it heats up very quickly, the fan spins well, and it blows out warm air until it shuts off. Although we installed this heater 4=5 years ago when we did the remodel it is practically brand new as we almost never use a heater in our bedroom as the room is not really a part of the house, and we just don't "normally" need heat when we are sleeping. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: