Another new heatpump - is this mold?


Old 11-25-15, 07:26 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 14
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Another new heatpump - is this mold?

Hi, you guys helped me before with my last heatpump, I moved units to a brand new place, new heatpump... same issues. There was not only a coolant leak that they have told me wasn't a leak for the last 6 months, but this is the third thermostat on the unit. I had similar issues which lead to mold on my other heatpump... so I have been checking this one weekly. All the issues were finally fixed, but in the last week, with the temperature drop and no blowing air things have been sweating in the apartment. With the heat working again, that is resolved, but after smelling something funny, I checked the box, and there is something forming on the grate. I wanted to find out (because all the repair men have told me it is almost impossible to get mold in the unit) but is this what mold looks like on a unit? Or am I looking at pretty normal wear and use?

(Had the box cleaned of drywall dust when we moved in and have changed filters monthly)

Many Thanks!
Name:  index3.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  17.8 KB
Old 11-27-15, 09:37 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 14
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another question: The heatpump is in a closet off of my clothes closet, when I checked in there just now, everything is covered in little black flecks from whatever they did... Christmas presents, clothes, stuffed animals... when I try to wipe them, they smear, does anyone know what that would be and if it is dangerous? Like do I need to throw out my kids presents?
Old 11-27-15, 09:58 AM
Houston204's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,425
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
You can send it off to get tested. I have had customers worry about white dust in the past and they sent it off to find it was the lay in ceiling tiles causing the problem. I hope your black flakes are as simple.

I do not know where they sent it.

When you light up or turn off an Oxygen and Acetylene torch it is possible to throw carbon into the air if you are not careful.

This is the torch commonly used when brazing copper pipes in refrigeration circuits.

Addressing your first post, I would get a UV lamp installed in the supply air plenum if mold is a concern.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: