Balance Point Calculation for Dual Fuel Heat Pump

Old 11-27-15, 01:21 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Balance Point Calculation for Dual Fuel Heat Pump

I have a Trane 1200XL dual fuel packaged heat pump. It has a 12 seer heat pump and a 140,000 btu natural gas furnace in one package installed on the roof.

The heat pump is currently running in the non-restricted mode, which switches to auxiliary heat when the heat pump can't maintain within 1-degree of the thermostat setting. This causes the heat pump to continue running down into the teens, and the duct air feels cold. I have no idea how inefficient this is.

I want to convert this system to the restricted mode. I have the required BAYSTAT033 outdoor thermostat on order. I need to calculate the balance point for the heat pump to set the outdoor thermostat at the correct temperature to switch over to natural gas. Could someone please provide the formula or point me to a website where the calculation can be performed? Thanks.

Old 11-27-15, 04:07 PM
S
You will probably get several opinions on this. Some say shut down at 35* OAT. I let mine run down to 15*OAT.

Old 11-27-15, 05:14 PM
D
I have read about those settings too. I would like to do it using the formula. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: