Sylvania electric wall heater problems

Old 11-30-15, 04:25 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sylvania electric wall heater problems

Hi,

I bought a house two years ago that's heated with Sylvania convectors model SYACP-2000. Last year they all worked fine but this year, two of them wired to the same circuit (breaker) have acted up. One of them never turned on (Living room) - nothing on the thermostat; the other one (bedroom) had the electronic built-in thermostat light up and show activity, as though the heater was going, but the element didn't actually heat up. I had a friend check if the electricity was going through, and it does. Messing around with the bedroom one magically made the element work - it started heating up. The other one (LR) didn't change. However that night something burned in the house and I opened t he windows to let the smell out, and so I turned down the thermostat to something like 4 ou 5 degrees celsius so the heater would go on while I had the windows wide open. Next time I checked, all the lights had gone out, no more activity at all - so now they are both totally dead.

Since the things don't have an off and on swicth, I think I did turn down all thermostats pretty low over the summer to make sure they wouldn't start heating up even if nights got chilly. Is it possible that turning them way down somehow makes them turn off altogether? I flipped the breakers a couple of time to see if it would kick start it and pressed all the buttons possible; anyone has had this problem? Thanks for any help,

Marianne

Old 11-30-15, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,404 Votes on 1,299 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You're either losing power before it gets to the heater or the electronic controls have problems.
Leaving them on low during the summer should not have caused any issues.

You'll need to open the covers to the heaters and check for 240vac at the heater.

Name:  syac.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  17.6 KB

Link to the manual.....
Download Sylvania SYACP-2000 Instruction Manual

Old 12-01-15, 11:20 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Pete, Thanks; can you spell out how to check for 240 vac?

Old 12-01-15, 01:09 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Reffering to the diagram using a multimeter measure between L1 and L2. That is where the house wire connects to your heater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: