Heat pump not working

Old 12-07-15, 11:16 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump not working

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  38.2 KBI have a heat pump system that was working fine then I went away for 3 days for work and came home to some burnt wires in the inside unit. The wires are running into the circuit breaker. My neighbor said he thinks my outside unit was running the whole time I was away. Could this cause wires to melt? Can I cut the burnt wires and replace them to get the unit up and running to see if the outside unit keeps running so I can fix the outside unit.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited by Cmccarty22; 12-07-15 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-07-15, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,406 Votes on 1,301 Posts
That is a pretty strange problem !
It looks like both screws in the breaker were loose and the wires came out.
I would check for shorts between the breaker terminals and ground. There's a good chance that the circuit breaker is shot. It looks like one of the wires is severely corroded.

Those units are designed for continuous operation. That would not cause that problem.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  40.0 KB

Old 12-16-15, 05:12 AM
C
Can I find a new circuit breaker at Home Depot or lowes?

Old 12-16-15, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
It looks like a removable breaker but it's hard to tell from your picture. The home improvement stores may one if we can figure out what you have.

Old 12-16-15, 10:56 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Short

Looks like to me, loose connections on the CB.. first remove the strip heaters and inspect them for an open or short, this could have caused excessive amp draw. Check the fan motor if it spins freely and if the cap is popped. Ohm out the motor, check it for grounds, see if the shaft of the motor has handshaking, check the line sides with a megohm meter. If all proves out, buy a new CB and replace the wire, it's cooked. You may have a thin spot elsewhere you can't see, don't risk it. Use your ammeter to check amp draw when applying power, and shut it down if it goes over the nameplate data. Don't burn the house down being thrifty.
The indoor unit has nothing to do with this. Note: make sure the electric strip heater and motor rating don't exceed the CB rating and has the proper sized wire.
Use the OEM CB.

Old 12-17-15, 12:53 AM
Group Moderator
hvac01453.... remember we're dealing with a homeowner here.... not a service tech.

Old 12-17-15, 05:43 AM
C
I called a tech I thought I could just replace the circuit breaker. The tech is coming out today.
Thanks for all of your help.

Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: