Baseboard heater recommendation

Old 12-21-15, 07:51 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard heater recommendation

Hi all,
I currently have two 2000 Watt Dimplex baseboard heaters (from Homedepot) installed in our cabin living room. The area they heat is about 400 sq ft, and they work great getting the place up to comfortable temp from about 2 deg C in the winter. The only problem is that they get really hot and I need to move the drapes out of the way as they get dangerously hot if they touch the heaters. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend other heaters that would be better with the drapes.

Much appreciated !
Krzys.

Old 12-21-15, 08:21 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Any baseboard of the same wattage and length will reach about the same temperature. Those Dimplex units pack a lot of wattage into relatively short length and thus get very hot. I see in the reviews people complain of scorched paint and melted blinds.

If you lower the total wattage, the room will either take longer to heat, or won't get up to desired temp at all.

If the current heaters heat the room quickly even when its cold out, and you wouldn't mind it taking longer, then you could replace with lower wattage units of the same length. Maybe 1000 watts each for example.

If you feel you need 4000 watts total, then you would have to look at longer units so you keep the same total wattage but it is spread over longer area so the element temperature is lower. That of course assumes you have room for longer units.

Old 12-21-15, 10:04 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I prefer the self-contained hydronic (fluid) baseboards. They run lower surface temperatures and are thereby safer in my opinion. You may need to increase the physical size although the watt rating will stay the same.

Old 12-21-15, 10:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,404 Votes on 1,299 Posts
Furd is right on the money. I install a lot of that type heater and use the Marley/Qmark heaters exclusively. They run much cooler and deliver more even heating between on and off times. One problem... they are not cheap. They are a quality product. Be sure to shop around. The prices vary widely.

You'd probably need the HBB2004 which is 240v 2000w and is 8' long.
I looked up yours and they are 50" long so these are almost double the length based on the same wattage.

Marley/berko/hbb-series-electric-hydronic-baseboard-heaters

Old 12-22-15, 06:23 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 89 Votes on 84 Posts
How close are the drapes to the baseboard? How about shortening the drapes?
Just a thought!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: