Goodman fan and heat strips run constantly

Old 12-27-15, 09:59 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman fan and heat strips run constantly

Hello,

I work in the apartment maintenance field (10 years exp) and just started a new property. The trouble is over the years there have been numerous techs that seemed to just want to put a bandaid on everything instead of just fixing the problem.

I got a call Friday to come fix the A/C (its 75 here in December wow!) and came upon a problem that I havent encountered before. The resident had set it to cool and it was doing that, but the heat strips were going at the same time. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the fan and the strips were running continuously, no matter what setting you had it on.

In my understanding, this seems to be a sequencer issue. The board, or EBTDR also looked to be in bad shape as someone had broken the mounting feet off of it and it was just kinda dangling in there. I changed the sequencer, and the problem still persisted. I put a new board in after that and popped it in its proper place and still the problem continues.

Could I have just grabbed a bad sequencer? I have never had a new one just not work, but I suppose its possible. As I said above, Im new there and want to make a good impression.

Old 12-27-15, 11:11 AM
S
What's the model numbers?

Old 12-27-15, 11:22 AM
B
I will have to get back to you on that tomorrow after work. I disconnected the heat strips and the resident said they can use the breaker to turn it on/off until then. Thank you for the reply!

Old 12-27-15, 12:18 PM
B
OK so yall dont think im lazy I went back to the property and the Model Numbers are as Follows: Air Handler-Goodman AWUF240816AA
Outdoor Unit: Goodman GSH130241AC

All 254 Units have the same equipment in them so I imagine I will encounter this again sometime. Oh its gonna be so much fun converting these to 410-A!

Old 12-27-15, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,418 Votes on 1,311 Posts
Oh its gonna be so much fun converting these to 410-A!
Do you mean replacing older equipment with newer 410A equipment ?

Looking up the air handler now.

Old 12-27-15, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Here's the link for your manual. It has the pictorial and schematic diagram in it.

goodman mfg/Portals/SS-GAWUF.pdf

That unit doesn't use a sequencer. It uses a heating contactor and a time delay blower relay module. You need to make sure white and brown are not energized during a call for cool. You could possibly have a problem on the defrost board that would keep the white or brown live when it shouldn't be.

Old 12-27-15, 11:32 PM
B
Alright, well this may be the problem then. What they have installed looks alot like a sequencer to me.Name:  Sequencer1.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  6.5 KB Am I wrong? Thanks for the help and that manual.

Old 12-28-15, 12:34 AM
Group Moderator
Here's the Goodman parts list for your unit. It's an expanded model M-12

resource.ecmdi.com/is/content/Watscocom/Gemaire/Product_1375969834291_EN_pl.pdf?fmt=pdf

The parts listing shows PCBFM103S time delay relay board.
It also shows B1256552 sequencer..... so your are correct.

Old 12-28-15, 04:16 PM
B
Thank you I thought I was going nuts. OK so, day 3---I have disconnected the heat strips and left it running in A/C, which at the very least allows the residents to not have to raise the windows and be somewhat comfortable. However, the fan still runs constantly.

I have changed out 4 sequencers, 3 boards(EBTDR) and 3 thermostats. Nothing works. My supervisor insisted that I try installing these parts again, but now he is a believer as well. Could it be possible that the thermostats they have ordered are just incompatible with this unit? It is a White Rodgers model number 1F79-111.

This has blown my mind. I have gone over every wire on the schematic, everything is in the right place. I have the thermostat switched to "O" and not "B". I have never run into this problem before where changing the sequencer would not fix it. Ugh!!!

Old 12-28-15, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
The O is the reversing valve for the heat pump. That should be 24v when in A/C mode.

What you need to check is the white, and possibly black, at the air handler for power. The sequencer can get power from the defrost board in the outside condensor.

Name:  gawuf.JPG
Views: 6063
Size:  44.2 KB

Old 01-04-16, 10:57 AM
B
Just wanted to update the forum, I found a short in the thermostat wire from the stat to the air handler, I was bleeding voltage between the orange and white wires. I switched the white wire out for one of the unused ones and the problem immediately went away. Everything works great now, thank you for the insights, I wont have this problem whoop me again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: